www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:21 pm 
Seahorse

Took our 1998 Horizon 200 out today and we spent about 5 hours on the tube, ski's and wakeboards. Boat worked perfectly until I got back to the dock and I couldnt lift the outdrive up. Trim had been working all day without problems. Not a sound from the trim system either up or down.

I visually checked the fuses and also checked the 3 wire plug on top of the engine that goes to the hydralic pump. All seemed fine

Couldnt think of any other way to get the engine except to disconnect the hydraluic arms and strap the outdrive up with winch straps so we could get home

Does anyone have any ideas where to start troubleshooting this ?

Only thing that was a little odd was the alarm sounded whenever I made a tight right turn. The VDO would flash 1 ft, so I presume this may have something to do with the depth gauge

Cheers

Dave
1998 Horizon 200

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm 
Narwhal

Check the trim pump fluid level, if low add some fluid and try it again. Also taking a mallet and giving the trim pump motor a few good whacks can help (and relieve a bit of frustration too). Something like this happened to me and topping off the fluids seemed to do the trick - the whacks may have helped too. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Funny...I had the same issue with my Funship last weekend. I could hear a clicking sound when trying to raise it up. My fuse was good, I pulled the relays and cleaned the contacts, but what seemed to get it going was a couple of last-ditch frustration whacks to the pump....just like Jim R. suggests....

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 pm 
Seahorse

Thanks folks

I will check the level tomorrow.. (I did give it a few persuasive whacks with my hand with no luck so perhaps a rubber mallet will work).

I think the difference I am seeing is that I dont get any sounds or clicks from the pump.

cheers

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 am 

From memory, on the '99 engine I had there was a fuse holder on the trim pump/ relay bracket. Have you checked that one? The fact that you are getting no clicks from either relay tends to point towards an electical issue; bad ground, poor connection to and from the trim switch, problem with the trim switch etc. Unlikely that both relays will have failed or developed poor connection at the same time, but it does no harm to swap them over.

I think it's unlikely you have the electronic trim limiter fitted. If you have, it could be the trim sender ( which will be a 3 wire type, not the more common 2 wire type).

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:58 pm 

I had a similar issue on mine, but I was getting some clicking noises. Did some electrical tracing to find out that one of the breakers on the engine block was intermittent (It was a 30 or 50 amp with the red button, been a while since I looked). A 100 bucks later and I was back in business. If that does turn out to be your issue, keep in mind that that breaker is universal for the most part, ie you can get an omc or possibly a merc one that will work too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 pm 
Seahorse

Nice call yrless11.. you were right on the money.

Tracked the issue down to a faulty 50amp breaker on the 12V positive power supply to the trim pump. This is the push breaker on the front left of the engine not on the trim pump. I wasnt getting the clicking sound though, but if you add a direct 12V positive to the white/blue and white/green wire and it clicks, then you know the relays are working.

A little tricky to find since there was 12V on the pump until I hit the switch and then the voltage died. Ran a bypass wire to test it and and everything working now. Will have the new breaker in by the weekend

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Cheers

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 pm 

Glad I could help :mrgreen:

You followed the same trouble shooting steps that I did. Ran 12v to the pump, up and down...use the switch, nothing. check the voltage and it is erratic, trace back to the breaker, voila. 100 bucks later, problem solved.

Happy boating this weekend! We have the first nice weekend of the season coming up, so hopefully we'll get the first splash of the year :!: