www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas tank won't take gas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:20 pm 
Clownfish

Had our 2005 Horizon all last year and this year filling the tank with gas no problem, until today. I normally squeeze the handle 1/2 way and listen to the sound (gurgles and burps). Then stop for a few seconds and then squeeze the handle just a little bit more until it stops and then vola - full tank of gas.

I raised the engine cover today and saw that the tank was about 1/2 full so I went to the gas station today to fill it for the weekend and squeezed the handle, and it stops after 1.7 gallons went through. I knew something was messed up so I jumped on the trailer step and looked at the gas tank hole and saw the gas just sitting on the top of it by the cap just slowly draining. The gas station handle was sort'ov broken so I went to another gas station to try again and it did the same thing - about 1.5 gallons went through and then it stopped.

I store the boat in our garage and I fill it myself with the exception of our last trip at Indian River where a gas station on the water filled it for us. I am thinking about a blockage in the line but don't really think so. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 pm 
Mental Floss

Tank vent is probably clogged. You can add about 1.5 - 2 gals before the pressure turns off the pump.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 pm 
Clownfish

Got any ideas how to unclog it John? The boat is away from the house now. I expect to check it out more indepth on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:15 pm 
Mental Floss

First, check to see it has no kinks or hasn't collapsed on itself. If all looks good, I would disconnect at the tank end and use some compressed air to blow it clean.

If it has a separate vent, not in the cap, check to see a critter didn't make it's nest in there. I had problems with my waste tank, a spider had built a web over the screem on the vent which restricted the air flow just enough to cause head problems

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:27 pm 
Dolphin

Had the same problem on my first Four Winns boat a 195 Sundower. The problem with mine was a spider was in the vent line. Once I got him out the problem was solved! In northern Michigan we have an abundants of insects and millions of spiders! Check your vent line.

Fred