www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Variable pitch prop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:58 pm 
Goldfish

Quite a few years ago I remembered seeing an article for a variable pitch propeller concept. I never forgot the idea as back when I was in highschool I had sketched a design for one on paper. Anyway, I just googled 'variable pitch prop' the other day and found a more recent comparison of propellors done for a Popular Mechanics article. Aerostar.com has a couple versions depending on the size and type of vessel. The PM article showed there was a definite performance advantage over other props.
Aerostar has some installation pdf but no pictures available. Also, at almost $2k, I'll never buy one but the idea has always intrigued me. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone know of anyone who has actually used one?
Interestingly, the PM article mentions the price at $995, so I wonder if that was the selling price back when the article was written. So why the price hike? Have they made some huge improvement since then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 pm 
wkearney99

Like anything else, it's the evil triangle rule.

Good, fast, cheap... pick two.

It'll be good and fast but hoo boy it won't be cheap. Cheap, good but slow as hell. Or cheap, fast but no good. I'd guess that the materials needed to make such a prop work reliably in real world boating conditions would end up making it considerably expensive. Probably a lot more so than any potential benefits it'd bring.

So yeah, it'd be a great idea but nobody would want to pay for it for the limited gains it'd bring.