www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:05 am 
Tadpole

I am looking to winterize my '00 230H 5.7 DP for the first time. I have always had the dealer do it but I only put 10 hours on it this year and if I could save the 300+ bucks and the 4 hour round trip to the dealer that would be huge. Any links available for the DIY guy? I am most concerned about draining and winterizing the power steering cooler. The rest of it I think I can handle. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Blue Thunder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 pm 
Goldfish

Poke around here BT.....you'll find some useful info.
Good Luck
http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a= ... id=1035565

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 am 
Tadpole

jka,
Thanks for the reply. Although informational, most of that stuff is generic. I'm looking for Four Winns specific info. I've winterized many of my boats in the past, just not this one and as stated earlier the PS cooling line needs to be drained and I have no idea where it is. Thanks for the response.

BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:41 am 
Goldfish

BT....you're welcome. Head over to http://www.forums.iboats.com

Those guys are very techie. Pick the appropriate forum for your engine and I'm certain you'll get help right away.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I haven't worked on a late model Volvo, but my old OMC has the p/s cooler on the rear of the engine, it does have a drain plug but it's tough to get at. I have found on my engine that if I drain the raw water intake hose that comes in from the transom, to the p/s cooler and then to the thermo housing, it also drains the p/s cooler. I do remove the drain anyway, but there has never been water in it after draining the raw water intake hose. I then fill it with antifreeze.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:49 pm 
Goldfish

Lou,

Wow! you're keeping a long thread open. my feeling is...find a good marina/techie.....entrust my boat...pay a few bones...and have a great, worry free season. thus far, with my 1995, 5.0 efi horizon....it costs me about 400 a year.

i just put it up. Gervasi's did the winterizing. I pull the battery ( and on concrete in the basement is okay boys ) and I do a brief re charge in the spring....along with all the cleaning, waxing, etc. I'd love to do it myself....but I have a big yard with leaves, badger football, deer hunting, wife chasing, etc....and I'd rather "give" my boat to a guy who knows whats gonig on. Sure, I could do it myself.....but....in 4 hours i can drop it off....pick it up...kiss it...and store it.

jk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It really depends on your comfort level for mechanical stuff, and how much time you can work on something without getting interrupted. I did mine for the first time 6 years ago and I followed the OMC manual without a problem. To do the deluxe version, it costs about 90 bucks or so in materials but much of that is using the -100 AF which is more expensive for sure. I change the engine oil + filter, fuel filter, drive oil, fog it, drain everything and fill manually with AF. So I figure I am saving about 300 a year doing it myself, but I am comfortable doing it. For a first timer, I think the factory manual is a must and well worth the cost. You make back that money in less than 2 hrs of labor!
I have been trying to kid my younger brother into doing his, but he is too far away for me to supervise, he likes dropping it off and writing the check, whatever works for you!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II