www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine running hot
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 am 
Dolphin

Something to watch out for, 2005, 268 Vista with 5.7 MPI Mercruiser running around 180 degrees. Went for the easy fix first. ( thermostat ) no luck. Checked the temp sensor, 100 Degrees=450 ohms, 175 degrees=99 ohms, 250 degrees=29.6 ohms. Sensor OK. Went for the raw water pump impeller next. It had lost 3 of 8 impeller vanes which probably explains why the temp went higher, but not to the alarm point. ( which is ??? ) What I found when removing the pump, one of the three mounting bolt heads was sheared off. Upon assembly I guess, NOT during disassembly. This really disapointed me. Another item of interest was on the discharge port of the pump assembly. There was a casting defect that looked like a V shaped notch. Not leaking yet. Called Mercruiser, no help since I am not an authorized dealer. Went to local Marine Max service center, a good bunch of guys here, They photographed the defect and e-mailed it to MC. MC is going to send that half of the pump assembly ( under warranty ) so i'll be OK soon.

The casting defect cannot be blamed on MC, it's out of their control, don't know how there QC system works though.

The mount bolt broken is another story, I would hate to be 30 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico an have one of the other 2 mount bolts give out.

My point of this rant is, If you are in your engine compartment doing anythig, LOOK at everythig else.