www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:29 am 
Dolphin

Hi All,

I have a strange issue with my starboard engine - When cold starting, both engines start like they're fuel injected and run very well. After shutting down and anchoring for a while, they both start and run fine, but at some point within a few minutes, the starboard engine dies - a couple of times it happened when I tried to get on plane and once it happened when idling. It always starts up but not immediately. Once started again, it does not die, but I haven't tried shutting down for a second extended period to see it the symptoms repeat.

Unfortunately at the same time the binnacle shifter for that engine must have a spring or plastic part broken because I cannot disengage the shift mechanism using the button. Therefore I can't tell if the engine is flooded or starved because I can't turn the engine over while working the throttle. I assume it is starved since it will start up on it's own after 5-10 seconds of cranking and does not act flooded.

To further complicate matters, both thermostats appear to be sticking open because the engines run barely above 100 degrees most of the time. The port engine runs a little warmer than the starboard. I plan on replacing both of them before I winterize to make sure the problem is taken care of.

The boat is new to me so I've only had it on the water 3 times. I was reading a thread on iboats where a Merc 4.3 was having similar problems and it was a low oil pressure fuel cutoff switch. Do the Volvo's have something similar?

Thanks!

Joe

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

Post subject: Update...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:47 am 
Dolphin

Just wanted to post an update - it appears that changing the thermostats have taken care of the issue with the starboard engine dying. Both were stuck open - one with some large grains of sand and the other with scale buildup. It did not die out the last time I took it out. Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:47 am 
Mental Floss

Joe,
Have you removed the exhaust elbows and inspected them? If not, I would invest in a couple sets of gaskets and remove and inspect them. They are 9 yrs old and if scale and deposits ate up the thermostats, the exhaust elbows definitely need an inspection. They are over due.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:58 am 
Dolphin

I agree - they need to be checked. They're on my quickly-growing list of things to do :) Thanks for the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:38 pm 
Dolphin

Hi Everyone - I thought I'd update this post since I recently found the real source of the problem. It was the fuel pump. About a month ago it got weak enough to be a big problem. By that point it had almost no suction, so it was pretty easy to find...

Joe

P.S. Even at nearly 9yrs old, the passages in the exhaust elbows looked like new when I took them off for inspection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:03 am 
Dolphin

Well, now I have to stand corrected. I thought I gave it plenty of time after replacing the fuel pump before I called it fixed, but the next time I took it out after my last update, it started happening again. So, here's another update that may help some that have fuel delivery problems.

After this happened again, I immediately figured it had to be a check-valve-related problem because my generator fuel line tees off of the same pickup tube as the starboard engine, which was experiencing the problem. What I expected to find was the generator check valve open, allowing the engine to draw air back through the generator carb.

However, the gen's check valver was fine. The engine's was stuck open, but not by much, so it was either siphoning gas back, blocking the full fuel flow, or likely a combo of both. I found a sliver of varnish build-up in the check valve by gently scraping around where the ball seats, that, when removed, allowed the valve to work as it should. As an additional precaution, I tool all three valves off and soaked them in carb cleaner for a couple hours.

I had it out three days in a row last week with no problems.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 am 
Mental Floss

Joe:

Glad to hear your exhaust system is in good shape and it appears you found your problem.

Now all that is left is to enjoy the boat and the summer! :wink:

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"