Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 am 
Seahorse

1999 Four Winns 190 Horizon
Engine: Volvo Penta 4.3GL
Drive: Volvo Penta SX

I believe I am having an issue with the clutch on my sterndrive. This issue started as a minor problem in the middle of the season and then slowly progressed. At the end of the season when I was hauling the boat out I had to give it a considerable amount of gas before it would engage the clutch and even then it would really “slam” into gear. I had a similar issue about three seasons ago. That time the mechanic recommended replacing the clutch cone which ended up costing allot.

I would like to attempt the repair myself. I perform all of the maintenance and repair on the engine myself, but I usually take it to the shop for anything related to the drive. The only maintenance or repairs that I have done on the drive up to now is changing the oil, painting, lube, and replaced both hydraulic cylinders. I recently acquired the shop manual for the drive and would like to take on more challenges. Also, I found a great local shop to get VP parts.

Does this sound like it could be the clutch cone again? If so, how hard is that to replace? Does the entire drive need to be removed or just the lower gearcase assembly?

Could this be anything else besides the clutch cone? Shift cable?

I am winterizing the boat this weekend so luckily I have all off-season to troubleshoot and repair this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:52 pm 
Sting Ray

The cone clutch is in the upper gear case, also there is a shift dog that could be worn also. the cone clutch shouldnt be to bad to replace, but if it was me i would take it to a good VP repair shop. I believe there are some shims in the upper gear case that has to be set to real close tolernaces. better left to the Pros. good luck ,Joe.

Towed with a Dodge Cummins!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Howdy,

Your problem is indicative of a defective or out of adjustment lower shift cable.

Do not run it that way or you will be will be rebuilding the drive.

If you want to do it yourself, you'll need to get an OEM service manual for that year/model engine/drive.

OEM means Volvo Penta. (Not Clymer/Seloc.....use them to start your wood stove!)

Regards,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:25 am 
Seahorse

Thanks for the responses. I have the VP shop manual for the drive. I will probably look into replacing or adjusting the lower shift cable. If I am unable to get that done or that is not the cause I will probably take it to the shop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

There is only one shift cable on the SX/ DPS. There is actually an identical adjustment at each end; I had to adjust mine at the shifter end in order to have enough adjustment available at the outdrive end. All the linkages need to be well lubricated with waterproof grease.

Even so, mine has got progressively more obstructive each season, ( it was never actually as smooth as my perevious one), I'll change the cable this winter.

Graham