www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Outdrive Corrosion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm 
Forty six and Two

When I was cleaning up my boat this weekend I noticed a dozen or so spots that already seem to be corroding below the paint. At many of the edges on the outdrive. I can see bubbling and spidering under the paint. This boat spent all summer in the lake and is brand new this year. Is it usual to have underpaint corrosion this fast? Do iIneed to swith my zincs for a differant type of anode? I honestly cant belive it should corrode this fast.

73 International Scout II

Post subject: Re: Outdrive Corrosion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't know much about Volvo, but that doesn't sound right to me. I've seen some info for my Merc that magnesium anodes should be used in freshwater applications, but I've not made any switch myself. I'd get it into the dealer and let the warranty cover it.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm 
Mental Floss

Yes, if you are in freshwater you will need to change the type of anode. Magnesium I believe.

Transom Shield # 3855610
Lower gear housing #3855412

Both can be ordered from many sources. I use http://www.Dougrussell.com and http://www.marinepartsexpress.com

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:21 am 
230 Mike

To expound a bit, most Volvo's come with aluminum anodes (not sure about Merc, but everyone ought to know what type of anodes they've got). These are a compromise since the factory cannot know for sure what type of water the boat will be used in. The owner's manual should say that if you're in fresh water only you should switch them to magnesium, and if in salt water only you should switch them to zinc. IMHO this is something dealers ought to do a much better job of communicating with their customers about and help make sure they've got the right anodes for their waters. I'd be willing to bet that some dealers don't even know which ones are included on a new boat.

There's always the possibility that your drive wasn't primed properly at the factory, but that would be unusual. Your dealer may be able to say for sure; on the other hand they may try to blame you regardless of who actually caused the problem. However, one full season in the water with the wrong anodes, especially if you've got stray currents around your dock, could do it.

Note that if the drive needs to be repainted, there's a very specific set of products and a process involving several steps to do it properly. It's more than just "slap some primer on it and paint it." HTH and good luck.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:24 am 

Dave, I am seeing the same problem, up just around the top of the drive where the plastic sides sit. That's all I could notice while the boat is still in the water. I will have a better picture when I get it out of the water tomorrow.

I agree, this shouldn't be happening the first year that it sits in the water. I will definately be making a complaint to the dealer, and will be asking to have it repainted. I wonder if there is a problem with the paint process on this new drive?

Lets keep things posted on how this goes....

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:13 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I have the same corrosion on my 2006 DuoProp drive. Of course I am not the first owner, so now I have to do the cleanup work. I will have to order some magnesium annodes and get the etching primer and silver from volvo to clean it up. It's the only part on the boat that is not perfect, and I attributed the corrosion to the dual stainless props (an issue with the Bravo 3) so thanks for posting the info!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 am 
Forty six and Two

I will keep everyone posted. Chris I like the red that looks nice. I spoke to the dealer and they are photo documenting it and we will see if it spreads. The dealer owner, who is awesome and a hell of a nice guy, said he hasnt looked at it yet but it doesn't sound right. I said to him, "Im going to be really unhappy if in a year or two the paint is pealing off my drive and the castings are all pitted.." he replied, " I'd be more than unhappy" lol...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:04 am 

Thanks for the complement!

I probably won't have the boat to the dealer until the weekend at the earliest, but I'll let everyone know what he says when I get it there. My dealer has been great so far, so I am not expecting any problems from them. If I get a chance tonight, I will try and get a picture of the problem that I am seeing.

Cheers

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:53 am 
Clownfish

Brett -

Looks like we have the same boat (2006 248 Vista) and I also have some small spots of corrosion on the drive (I am the original owner).......

HBender
2006 248 Vista (SS Duoprops)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 pm 
Forty six and Two

Update - according to my dealer this sort of corrosion happens when the grounding straps are not installed correctly, missing or has a bad connection. Turns out corrosion on a drive at 5 months old is not normal. The dealer is working with Volvo on a remedy for it. I guess there is a test you can do using a multi meter to check for proper continuity. They have not done the test yet. I told the dealer and he is sympathtic that I want brand new factory cases and that a repaint over corroded metal on a 5 month old boat is not what I'm looking for unless the drive is stripped bare, media blasted, acid dipped to neutralize any corrosion and reapainted to factory spec before reassembly. I guess this will have to run its course.

You guys tell me if Im wrong. This boat is basically brand new. If it was defective (ie grounding issues) out the door at the factory I didn't get what I paid for and a repaint is an unacceptable substitute. I dont know about you guys but the number one reason I bought a new boat is longevity.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:33 pm 
Clownfish

Dave,

You are right. Only a true and correct repair/replacement is acceptable.

P.S. we should not have to deal with this nonsense for the $ we plopped down...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:34 pm 

Well, my corrosion is worse than I thought, I have problem areas all over the drive. :cry: Here are a couple of pics...

These is the first time I use photobucket, so I hope you can see the pics.

I agree that this needs to be taken care of properly, and a quick scuff and paint won't be a satisfactory repair. I would not expect this kind of problem after 5 months in the water (which is almost to the day, come to think of it). Actually, I don't think you should even see this after 5 years in the water (when it's only really in 5 months out of each year).

I think i will call my dealer tomorrow....

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 pm 
230 Mike

Holy smokes. I wouldn't expect to see that in 20 years, let alone 5 months. That's bad enough that I would absolutely demand new cases - and my guess is that they may just replace the whole drive. I would NOT accept blasting & refinishing. You didn't show any pictures of the transom shield, but I would worry about hidden corrosion there also.

However, do expect a conversation about anodes and possibly be ready to answer questions about electric facilities on and around your dock, whether the dock has been tested for stray current, etc.

I know you'll keep us posted on how this goes... best of luck with this!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:31 am 
Forty six and Two

Chris - mine is not quite that bad but similar. You need to make a stink to Fourwinns as well as having your dealer work with them. Enough of us complain the better the end results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:41 am 

for sure I will be making a stink. I have some backuckup regarding the stray current. There are no electrical services at the docks, just dock lights. These docks are floating and pulled every year during the winter, so I believe all of the lighting electrical is above the waterline.

My dealer has sold no less than 20 boats at this dock, a few of them docked right near mine, so I would imagine that if there is a stray current problem, that I wouldn't be the only one with this level of corrosion.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next