www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 am 
email admin your custom rank

Many of us have the water flush system, but have some questions. I have the VP with the hose type attachment in the engine compartment...leads to the housing near the water pump (raw water pump)....i know they say you do not need to start the engine to flush the system, but i don't see how this is flushing the entire system.

The thermostat will not open until engine reaches temp....so if you hook up the flush and let it run the fresh water will never circulate thru the entire system....yes water will flush out the outdrive, water pump and exhaust manifolds but will never make it's way thru the engine block.

Am I right on this or am i missing something?????

I have been flushing with the engine running for this reason and assume that is the best way....any other thoughts out there on this?

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 pm 
Sting Ray

I believe on the newer VP with a blue ( I think) connection you can flush while running. I can confirm in a week when I comeback from vacation.

Stouffville Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:51 pm 

The FW manual says to not run a VP engine and to run a Merc while using this fitting to flush. The VP manual says to run the engine if you are using this fitting to flush. It also says to run at no more than at idle or the engine will draw in sea (raw) water.

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm 

Guinnydog wrote:
The FW manual says to not run a VP engine and to run a Merc while using this fitting to flush. The VP manual says to run the engine if you are using this fitting to flush. It also says to run at no more than at idle or the engine will draw in sea (raw) water.

Exactly - they say two different things......don't run the VP on flush and run the VP on flush at idle speed. I'm starting to think to forget the flush tube and just use the muffs and run it. My concern is that the water pick up pump on the VP is on the engine and far from the drive...just don't want to damage it.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm 

There have been a few threads on this as I recall....

On my boat there is a sticker which says not to run engine while using the hose fitting. I used the fitting while I had the boat in a slip to at least flush the engine block.

When the boat is trailered. I use the muffs and run the engine to flush the entire system including the drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:59 pm 

Earlier (but after my 1999 boat ) VP flush kits could not be used with the engine running.

Later ones , like on my 2004 boat can; the inlet hose connects o a "T" piece on the raw water pump inlet.

To muddy the water further, certainly in the UK Four Winns even in 2004 used to offer a flush option for VP equipped boats; I have no idea where that connected to!

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:05 pm 
Sting Ray

Here is a link to a similar a previous post-
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5310&p=52509&hilit=flush+connection#p52509
And one other-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3304&p=33505&hilit=flush+connection#p33505
If you do a search there are a few more I have not read yet.
I flush/run my 3.0 lt VP in the driveway using the factory connection with no problems. I am almost positive the connector is blue. I have seen in one of the manuals,Volvo I think that there is a different coloured connection that you are not to use while running.
I will try to confirm this.
I think you are correct doing what you are doing.

Stouffville Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 am 

Thanks for the prior thread listings...since I always flush on trailer I am thinking the surest method is to use the muffs.....actually easier for me anyway since they are easier to slap on than crawling into the boat to hook up the water/back out to turn on water and check water flow/then back into boat to crank.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:50 pm 
Dolphin

I flush mine whilst on the lift. Last time when the boat was in for maintenance, I asked the technician. He said it depends of where the system is installed. He then went out and have a look at where it was on our boat and told me not to run the engine whilst flushing. We have a Merc engine. We are in saltwater so flush with Salt Away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 pm 

I'm a muff man - never have to worry if I have tightered the blue plug on the engine this way! Dealer told me from day 1 to use muffs as it is idiot-proof (hmm... now wonder why he told me that... :lol: )

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm 
230 Mike

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
I'm a muff man...

Aren't we all? :wink:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 am 

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
never have to worry if I have tightered the blue plug on the engine this way! : )

I threw away the blue plug and the bit it screws onto and replaced it with a stainless ball valve and garden quick release coupling (male). I also clip on a female quick release coupling with a blanked outlet when it's not in use.

That way it's foolproof, no leaks and easy to connect/ disconnect the hose.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 am 

Well the novilty of the hose connect in the engine compartment has worn off...good for using a slip or sling, but PITA for trailering in my opinion.....went back to the muffs this weekend and got a surprise......hit the water inlet with the muffs and got a LOT of dead grass out of there....guess there is a screen inside the inlets that prevents from being sucked into engine, but was amazed at the globs that came out...

Surprised it did not lead to overheating.....i always watch the temp guage and never came close to 170 mark....how I don't know, but glad i got it cleaned out of there.

FYI - i have not been anywhwere with grassy bottom....shallowist i have anchored is 5 feet over sand. Maybe left over from prior owner.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi