www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:32 am 
I fix stuff

Had a weird happening on the first time out for the season, after running around a local lake, we stopped did some fishing, then decided to run across lake, sat down, pushed the lockout button, started the beast up, did the usual back to center, pull up the gear engagment switch, push forward - and no engagemnet, just revved, tried reverse, same thing. Killed engine started whole process over, same same... like 3 times.

Finally it worked, no problems rest of weekend.. is there anything that I should be looking for as a preventitive maintinance issue?

thanks all

2001 CBR1100XX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:55 am 
230 Mike

Which drive? If Volvo, take the plastic trapezoid-shaped cover off the drive (3 exposed screws) and make sure the shift linkage is tight. Sounds like it has slipped out of adjustment. I assume Merc has a similar mechanism.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:59 am 
I fix stuff

230 Mike wrote:
Which drive? If Volvo, take the plastic trapezoid-shaped cover off the drive (3 exposed screws) and make sure the shift linkage is tight. Sounds like it has slipped out of adjustment. I assume Merc has a similar mechanism.

Its a Volvo SX - will look tonight - thanks Mike.

2001 CBR1100XX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

I hope you got it sorted. I think it's more likely to be a problem at the shifter end, rather than at the outdrive. If it's out of adjustment on the outdrive end, it would either not go into forward or not go into reverse, not both.

First thing to look at is the lock out button and it's mechanism up to where it acts on the shifter cable and see whether it's sticking sometimes in the engaged position. Depressing that button allows the engine to be revved, but disengages the shifter cable and so prevents either forward or reverse to be selected.

Regards,

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 am 
email admin your custom rank

I had a similar problem last year on memorial day weekend with my old sundowner. It's actually a humerous story. We had only had our boat for about a month and had towed it down to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. We brought the WHOLE family. There was like 10 of us. We unloaded the boat on Friday night and had kept it in a slip we rented for the weekend. Saturday arrives and we have all the family in the boat, the gear loaded up, the beverages iced down, and we are ready to rock and roll.

We untie from the slip, and procede to put the boat in reverse to back out. As I give it some gas, the boat WENT FORWARD onto the dock. I was mad as heck. It started up in gear and went immediately forward. The boat would shift into forward, but not neautral or reverse. I had just towed this boat 7 hours and now it doesn't work.

We pull the boat out and take it to a local mechanic named Billy Bob. (Remember we are in Kentucky now). To make a long story short and get to the point of this post. Inside the shifting mechanism that holds the shift cable in place was a small plastic cylinder that was molded onto and around the shift cable. This held the outer cable in place so that the inner cable could move. This .05$ piece cannot be replaced because it's part of the shift cable itself. They didn't have a replacement cable so he yells, "hey bubba, grab me two hose clamps and some black tape". He somehow reengineered the piece to get me through the weekend and i had to get it fixed when we got back home.

I hope that gives you something else to look at.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 am 
I fix stuff

Graham R wrote:
I hope you got it sorted. I think it's more likely to be a problem at the shifter end, rather than at the outdrive. If it's out of adjustment on the outdrive end, it would either not go into forward or not go into reverse, not both.

First thing to look at is the lock out button and it's mechanism up to where it acts on the shifter cable and see whether it's sticking sometimes in the engaged position. Depressing that button allows the engine to be revved, but disengages the shifter cable and so prevents either forward or reverse to be selected.

Regards,

Graham

I think you are correct, the button seamed to be sticking... when it happened again, gave it a little smack (persuasion) and viola... no problems again though the day, will have to take a look to see if it needs some lube or something.

2001 CBR1100XX