www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
Minnow

I winterize my 200 Horizon by doing the following:
I have a plastic tub which I place 5 gallons of antifreeze in.
I position the tub to catch the antifreeze as it exits the engine/drive.
I have a 12vdc bulge pump in the tub which discharges into a set of muffs on my drive.
I run the engine until the engine temperature stabilizes around 165 - 170 degrees.
So basically I am recircing the antifreeze through the drive and engine until the thermostat opens.
Now your thoughts, I am I doing any harm to my drive and engine doing it this way?
The water in the tub gets warm enough to emit a little steam during this process.
Thanks for you comments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:28 pm 
Dolphin

That's pretty much how I do it. I use a galvanized chimney cap (sheet metal) turned upside-down with short legs added. I then have a pan deep enough for a couple gallons of AF to catch the runoff and use a sump pump to get it to the flushing adapter. I have to add a couple more gallons right after I start each engine (one at a time) because the catch pan I use only holds so much with the sump in it.

I warm my engines up first, then drain the blocks and manifolds. That way I know that pretty much all that goes in will be antifreeze. It doesn't take long for the thermostat to open up since the engines are already hot.

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sounds good!! I have never tryed it that way. I would use a pump with a high GPH, say 750 to 1000. Remember too, they rate these pumps with out a hose attached. So if the water needs to go 3' up, (from the pan to the drive) the rate of GPH will fall off.

Last edited by Paul I. on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

wilson2304 wrote:
I winterize my 200 Horizon by doing the following:
I have a plastic tub which I place 5 gallons of antifreeze in.
I position the tub to catch the antifreeze as it exits the engine/drive.
I have a 12vdc bulge pump in the tub which discharges into a set of muffs on my drive.
I run the engine until the engine temperature stabilizes around 165 - 170 degrees.
So basically I am recircing the antifreeze through the drive and engine until the thermostat opens.
Now your thoughts, I am I doing any harm to my drive and engine doing it this way?
The water in the tub gets warm enough to emit a little steam during this process.
Thanks for you comments.

That's exactly how my dealer does it except they use a plastic kiddie pool that catches the antifreeze. They have a neat little hose that goes into the pickup for the generator and the generator sucks the water from the pool through the cooling system. I have the exact same Simer sump pump that I use to empty my hot tub. It has a regular garden hose fitting for the output can go right to the muffs.