www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 230 Horizon run issue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:31 am 
Tadpole

Hi Guys,
New to your forum but not to boating. I have owned a Four Winns for over 20 years. Current boat is a 2000 230H 5.7 DP with 312 hours. Boat has been in the water for 3 weeks or so. Used it 2 weeks ago without incident. Lots of rain here in the northeast lately. Went to start it over the weekend, turned the key on, nothing. Assuming that the battery might be low from all this rain and the auto bilge pump cycling I started to check for battery issues. Pressed the engine hatch switch and up the hatch went! Gotta love those Interstate batteries! Checked the 2 red switch circuit breakers on the engine, appeared fine. I pressed the reset switch next to the ignition key and the dash lit up and immediately went dead again. Same thing 2 or 3 times. Held the reset switch in and turned the key and the boat started. Ran the boat at 1100 rpm for 20 minutes or so. Took her for a ride (bad idea). Cruising along at 24 mph engine dies. Reset switch won't reset. Got towed in by a friend and let it sit all day in the sun to dry out. BTW, the inside of the boat was absolutely soaked as it usually is after a heavy rain. Went down at the end of the day and she started up fine. I know, long story but I'm trying to give as much info as I can.
What does that circuit next to the key protect? Where can I find that info? Do you think it was just wet? Any ideas or comments?
Thanks in advance!!

Blue Thunder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm 
Mental Floss

Could be, the other thing I would check is the large pigtail connecting the engine. It's round and on the left side by the ignition breakers. It should have a clamp around it. I'd unplug it, check for moisture and corrosion, plug it in tightly and see if your problems go away. They can get nudged loose and/or corrode with wierd affects.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"