www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have an OMC but Volvo is similar as is Merc…
1) you must have a cotter pin extraction tool to get the cotter pins out; in the OMC and Volvos there are 4….2 big ones by the mounting bolts and one for cable and one for the steering arm. The 2 by the mounting bolts are big and tough to get out; the other 2 are small but tough to access. I think Merc used locking tabs instead of the cotter pins on the mounting bolts.
Once you get this thing out you will need a good hot shower to soothe your poor twisted body lol!
Install is much easier you have to allow time to bleed out all the air. My original lasted 33 years!
Make sure to grease the steering cable, I also greased the cotter pins and all pivot points.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 pm 

PS
for anyone who has an older OMC or Merc boat (like prior to 1990) that uses this Saginaw design actuator with the seperate control valve and hydraulic cylinder, both are rebuildable because this same system was used on GM and Ford cars back in the 60s and 70s, so because there is so much interest in classic Corvettes and Mustangs, the parts are out there. As long as the hydraulic cyl rod is not damaged and its not rusted out, it can be rebuild as can the control valve. It appears to be a fiddly job, based on videos I've seen but do-able.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 am 

I spent a long time trying different tools just to get the one out holding the steering cable. Even on an '07 volvo, you have very limited room to bend those cotter pins, and you will struggle to rotate the clevis pin every which way to make it easier along with trying every tool in your box to bend the ends back straight. I had the extractor hook as well, its still hard. I was almost convinced that because my cable was 13 years old I needed a new one, but it turns out, I was wrong. Once unhooked, the steering wheel moved it just fine. Put it back together with lots of grease on the ram, topped off on ps fluid, and it steers like butter. I should have done this first :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:40 am 

Yep even the small cotter pins on the clevis are hard to get out because they are on the bottom side of the clevis you can hardly see them! So yes the 4 cotter pins from hell is this job's tough spot. What you can do every spring, is turn your steering wheel to expose the cable end from the guide tube, and coat that with marine trailer grease, also grease the pins on the clevis as well. If you do this every season, your cable most likely will not get stiff. In fact this is recommended maintenance in my OMC owners and shop manuals.
When I had mine all disconnected it moved with zero resistance and this is the original never replaced 33 year old cable, but I greased it every season (owned the boat almost 20 years now)... I also greased the big cotter pins and the small ones, and the pins for the clevis in case I ever have to do this job again!

2008 Walker Bay 8