www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 am 
email admin your custom rank

FOUR WINNS TRAILERS SUCK

They are know in the boat trailer biz as a joke. Cheap Wal-Mart parts in an attempt for Four Winns to cut cost of having to out source a trailer to pad the CEO's pocket. I love the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:45 am 
All Night Long

I think it's ironic that the fw trailers are getting such bad feedback from everyone on here....

as I am looking at a Horizon 240, one of the major selling points by the sales guy is how awesome the new fw trailers are... boxed frames, disc brakes, best break away toungue...

Are they really that bad? Should I dump the factory trailer and find something else?[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 am 

cougarcruiser wrote:
I think it's ironic that the fw trailers are getting such bad feedback from everyone on here....

as I am looking at a Horizon 240, one of the major selling points by the sales guy is how awesome the new fw trailers are... boxed frames, disc brakes, best break away toungue...

Are they really that bad? Should I dump the factory trailer and find something else?[/img]

Yes. Think about it what other boat manuf. make thier own trailer? NONE There is a reason for that. They are boat builders, not trailer builders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:17 am 

230 Mike wrote:
To be fair, many would say that if you got 5 years out of a set of boat trailer tires, they didn't fail.

I guess failed is the wrong term but you expect to get more than 5 or 6000 miles on a set of tires. I realize that setting in one spot for an extended period of time and exposure to the sun takes its toll.

FW uses non SS self tapping screws to attach the the covers on the inside o the fenders. This causes the holes to rust and the screws to come out. Reattach with SS hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:43 pm 

You know there a couple things I do like about my trailer. The 4 wheel disk brakes seem to work great. And the breakaway tongue is nice and solid.

I suspect in about 4-5 years I'll be looking to replace it with a custom made one considering the miles I put on it.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:57 pm 
McLovin

funny all the stuff that fourwinns doesnt make IE the brakes and components are great LOL I have also noticed the lack of stainless hardware. ARE YOU Fin KIDDING ME why use anything but stainless. Dear Fourwinns I will gladely pay you 100 dollars more for stainless that everyone else uses standard in there trailer !!!!!!! Bad engineering choice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:02 pm 

At least they use treated wood for the bunks. I just did my PWC trailer when 1 of the bunks crumbled in my hand. Non treated 2x4. Glad I caught it. We're leaving tomorrow for Norris lake. 500+ mi trip. It would never had made it. Has treated bunks now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:14 pm 
McLovin

good catch on the bunks but really is there ever a excuse for not using stainless in a marine application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:05 pm 
230 Mike

I agree completely on the hardware. No excuse for anything but stainless. I also think FW is behind the curve on switching to LED's, something I intend to have done before next weekend (I've sat in the parking lot changing light bulbs in my "waterproof" tail lights for the last time).

Having said that, I'd buy a FW trailer again without hesitation - knowing there may be a few things that need to be tweaked and replaced (just like there are on the boat, for most people).

I see VERY few differences between what FW is putting on their trailers and what I see on current production trailers used by other mfr's, in fact IMO FW are superior in some areas. Now, if you want to compare to fully custom trailers built entirely to customer specs, that's another story. It's also a dramatically different price point.

I think a part of this is that we all want to spend all our time on our boats enjoying them; it's bad enough that we have to spend time cleaning, waxing, maintaining, and improving our boats - we *certainly* do not want to spend any time maintaining our trailers. Many consider the trailer a necessary evil, something that we must have to get from A to B, like a rental car on a business trip. The fact is, as long as we're trailer boaters, we have to do *some* maintenance on the trailer, replace parts now and then, etc.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 pm 

DAMN he really wanted to get his point across. I bet he got carpal tunnel from that. I would rather have a Road Runner trailer they make for Chaparral anyday over my Four Winns trailer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 pm 
230 Mike

teker wrote:
you expect to get more than 5 or 6000 miles on a set of tires.

FW uses non SS self tapping screws to attach the the covers on the inside o the fenders. This causes the holes to rust and the screws to come out. Reattach with SS hardware.

Actually about 4-5 years, regardless of miles, is a much better yardstick.

I'll have to look at my trailer tonight but it sounds like SS bolts & nylock nuts might be the way to go on the fender liners.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 am 
Shark

I've owned trailers from several brands, and they're all pretty much the same in my book.

My only complaints with the FW trailer so far is how quickly the painted ones rust. My dealer agrees, he's not happy about the rust situation either. The cure is to order the ugly galvanized trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 pm 
McLovin

yea mine had small spots of rust from the get go. I always wondered if adding zincs would help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:10 pm 

mkperceptions wrote:
yea mine had small spots of rust from the get go. I always wondered if adding zincs would help

It will if you leave it parked underwater. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:22 pm 
McLovin

that is exactly what i thought hahahaha :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next