www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 pm 
230 Mike

Wanted to let people know, one of the "new Carlisles" I put on the utility trailer came apart on New Year's Day; they are just over a year old now, have only been run at full cold pressure and had no more than a few hundred miles on them prior to this trip. I don't know what really happened and probably never will. The trailer is used for a high school marching band. The band was in this year's Citrus Parade, so the trailer had to go from Kansas City to Orlando and back. Since we had enough volunteers to do the driving, I elected not to go. About 2 hours north of Orlando the driver felt the trailer start to shake and looked in the mirror to see the LF tire "throwing pieces of tread everywhere."

This was one of the largest pieces left apparently:

I'm not suggesting these are bad tires - yet. They may have hit something or whatever, but since there has been so much discussion on trailer tires, and these new ones in particular, I thought I'd throw this out there. I now have the same tires on my boat trailer, so I hope this isn't a trend. :)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am 
email admin your custom rank

Here is an interesting story about tire age that I came across about 4 years ago. IMO, it applies to trailer tires as well.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm 

My Kenda Load Stars were 8 years old this summer, so I upgraded and replaced the 215/75-14s with 225/75-15s on new galvanized rims, got a great deal from Eastern Marine in Delaware, mounted on the rims these bias ply tires were only a few dollars more than radials tires alone. Going to the 15s gives me a nice cushion in terms of tire capacity. I had very good service from the Load Stars and would recommend them. 8 years and no bubbles, bulges, etc, just a tiny crack in one, but I've had more cracks in auto tires that I've used for only 4 years.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 pm 

Mine are originals so are going on year number 5....they only see sun when I'm at lake...maybe 20 to 30 days a year. No probs but I do see wear on inner ridge of tire that's puzzling. Depending on lake I travel anywhere from 3 to 8 hours round trip ...so it may be time for tires for me.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:00 pm 
230 Mike

Yep, 5 years=you're due. I put these same tires on my boat trailer so am counting on this failure being foreign object damage.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm 

I had a pair of tires go bad (goose eggs, cord failure/distortion) within 2 weeks of each other at ten years of age. Another boat that I bought in October 2011 had two tires blow on the trip home after the sale. A third tire from the same trailer had cord separation during that trip. I'm much more interested in tire condition and age as a result of these events.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Villiage Idiot

230 Mike wrote:
Yep, 5 years=you're due. I put these same tires on my boat trailer so am counting on this failure being foreign object damage.

I bought my car and boat around the same time. Just checked the date codes today... both sets will be 6 yrs old by summer! That could be expensive. I'll just keep checking and treating all the tires as I have before; Press check every month, rotate every year; Armor All when the weather is nice.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 pm 

Walt wrote:
230 Mike wrote:

I bought my car and boat around the same time. Just checked the date codes today... both sets will be 6 yrs old by summer! That could be expensive. I'll just keep checking and treating all the tires as I have before; Press check every month, rotate every year; Armor All when the weather is nice.

Armor all? I was always told that was bad for tires, causes them to dry rot.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:52 am 

I know how you feel, Walt. I put a new set of tires on my truck and my boat trailer, new front tires on my van and a new rear tire on my Harley, all in about a 3 month timeframe. That hurt the old pocketbook. I felt like I should buy stock in rubber for a short term hold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am 
Villiage Idiot

LVChris wrote:
Armor all? I was always told that was bad for tires, causes them to dry rot.

Nope. My boat tires still look brand new; the car tires are starting to get some cracks between the tread and the tire at the wall. Just a matter of time I guess. Still about 45% of the tread remains on the car tires but planned on getting new before next winter as they are at about 50k miles now and about 6yrs of age.

With any luck, I'll be getting a place down at LOTO this year, and won't be needing the trailer loaded. At least then I can put off the trailer tires for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Villiage Idiot

JDW250 wrote:
I felt like I should buy stock in rubber for a short term hold.

As a contractor, I do enough work at Goodyear, they pay me more than I could possibly spend on tires... too bad I use Mich's and Carlyle :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:13 am 

Ditch the Carlisle ---
I had issues with several of them -- finally gave up.

Unfortunately the NEW Goodyear trailer tires are not like the OLD Goodyear trailer tires -- issues there also.

I use the Kenda loadstar's now -- have for several years with few issues.

thx
Dale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:53 am 
Minnow

Well I had a Carlisle tire explode on me. I bought my boat with trailer this May and was told the tires were pretty new... at the time I didn't know how to check the year on the tires until my tire just blew up on me. Turns out they are 2010 tires... I guess Carlisle tires don't last longer than 4-5 years.

My local tire company recommends Trailer King Tires... anybody using those?

My 5x8 trailer has them and doing fine, but again now carrying a heavy boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:33 am 

heathtrost wrote:
Well I had a Carlisle tire explode on me. I bought my boat with trailer this May and was told the tires were pretty new... at the time I didn't know how to check the year on the tires until my tire just blew up on me. Turns out they are 2010 tires... I guess Carlisle tires don't last longer than 4-5 years.

My local tire company recommends Trailer King Tires... anybody using those?

My 5x8 trailer has them and doing fine, but again now carrying a heavy boat.

Were they bias ply or radial tires?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 am 

I am starting to wonder if, given where most trailer tires are made (far east) and the not so great quality control that comes with that, if you are going stick with trailer tires you actually might be better off with basic bias ply tires. Why? A steel belted radial tire is a more complex product, the steel belts must be bonded to the rubber/tire casing and if there is imperfect bonding there you can have those problems. In fact I recall we had the exact same problem here in the US when they started making radial tires here in the '70s. Michelin and Continental had perfected their process in Europe some years earlier but here we still had outmoded bias ply technology in our tire factories. So the first generation of Firestone 500 radials had many failures which caused a recall and major lawsuits.
As always I'm not afraid to buck the prevailing trends in favor of common sense.
I think bias ply tires are a simpler technology and less prone to those failures. We had them on our cars back in the 70s and they lasted about 12-15K miles and we did not have blow outs all the time either.
In fact, I'd like to see a re-appearance of the stop gap tire that was sold then between the cheaper bias tires and more expensive European steel belted radial. It was a fiberglass belted bias tire, called the belted-bias tire. These were standard on American cars in the late 60s and early 70s and they usually lasted about 25K miles, and again we did not have exploding tires and constant issues. If the tire companies feel that no one will pay for a US made quality radial trailer tire (and apparently they do) then they should offer an alternative.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II