www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New trailer lights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:54 am 
230 Mike

I just got home from replacing the lights on my trailer with all new LED units. WOW, what a difference, and what a great project. Not too difficult, and the results are pure BLING. More than anything, I hope I've spent my last half-hour sitting on a dirty, hot, buggy loading area replacing burned out bulbs.

If you put a lot of miles on your trailer, I highly recommend this.

One problem is that the LED mfr's don't make it real easy to figure out which units you need to replace your originals. I actually started researching this last year but got sidetracked. If anyone with a recent FW trailer (back to '04, perhaps further) wants the part numbers I used, let me know.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:29 am 
email admin your custom rank

I would love some details! I'm thinking of doing this in the spring and part numbers would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:44 am 

Mike, is there some online database you used to figure out the right part numbers that you'd be willing to share with all of us? I'm sure that I'll be looking into this project somewhere down the line...

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:34 am 
Mental Floss

LEDs aren't the Holy Grail. They do fail and when they do there is no option but to use the manufacturer warranty or replace the fixture. I've had the LED light bar fail and didn't want to deal with the hassle of sending back a $30 bar. I left it off. I have seen tail lights with burned out LEDs. Even some of the buses here that have them installed have tail lights with some of the LEDs not working.

As they are epoxy filled, tearing into them to replace individual LEDs isn't even an option.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 am 
230 Mike

I agree John, and should have said another reason I held off for awhile was my concern about losing a whole unit (I hate replacing bulbs, but at least I can). However, two weeks ago I was once again sitting near the ramp replacing a broken bulb in one of my "waterproof" tail lights. I decided that was enough. Time will tell, of course. Right now I have the luxury of just liking how they work :).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:10 am 

Tough to say there is a "perfect" solution out there, but I'd take the dependability of the LED's and risk the greater difficulty of repairing them when they DO fail.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:25 am 
230 Mike

Paul,

I wish there was such a database, it would sure make it easier.

I went with Optronics units ( http://www.optronicsinc.com ), largely because they have detailed dimensions of each of their units online. So I was able to take my original lights off, bring them home, and use them to match the replacements up from the comfort of my La-Z-Boy :). They don't have an online store, but will sell their units over the phone.

One thing to consider is that the wiring harness, at least on my trailer, connects to the tail lights using a 2-way molded connector. Curiously, Optronics doesn't sell their tail lights with a mating 2-way connector; they have them with other types of connectors, but not a simple 2-way. I could have either 1) cut the plugs off my original lights and spliced them onto the replacements, 2) cut the plugs off the harness and spliced the replacements on directly, or 3) buy new plugs to splice onto the replacements. I didn't want to destroy the original lights in case I'd ever have to put them back on, and didn't want to modify the harness. That leaves option 3. You would be amazed at how difficult it is to find a simple 2-way molded connector/pigtail. The trailer shop near here that has *everything* (Croft, Paul) doesn't even have them. I finally found them online. I spliced the pigtails onto the new lights by soldering them, coating the joint in liquid electrical tape, and covering with shrink tube. A simpler solution would be to use butt splices with shrink tube; these units are available at Lowe's. Since these joints will be submerged, I preferred to solder them.

This project also was the perfect time to apply dielectric grease to all connectors, something I've been meaning to do for a couple of years.

Here are the units I used. I ordered direct from Optronics, since none of their online sellers carry any of these units.

Tail lights:

Left side: STL-37RS $34.29
Right side: STL-36RS $31.09

Pigtails with plugs are available from:
http://www.wiringproducts.com./en-us/de ... l#item_666.
Gender of plugs is determined by the brown wire, which is for the tail light.

8" Male 2-way pigtails: $1.09ea.
(1 needed per tail light)

Side markers:

Sides: MCL-95APG $5.29ea.
Winch post: MCL-35A32G $4.29ea.
Note - MCL-35A32G is not listed on the website and had to be researched by Tech Support; additional shipping time may be necessary on these.

Rear identification bar:

MCL-97RPG $16.49

Lifetime warranty - call Optronics if any problems.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:25 pm 
230 Mike

Note, in case anyone already read the parts list above, I just edited it to add the winch post marker lights, which required some phone time with Tech Support as these are not "standard" items. Sales did confirm, however, that they are available and can be sold in singles if anyone else needs them (they're normally only sold in bulk 50 packs).

Tech Support also told me that the quickest replacement method is to e-mail them a photo of the bad light and they'll ship another without waiting for the old one to be returned.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm 
Mental Floss

Mike:

Mind if I copy the info and post it to boat-projects.com? it will be easier to reference 6 month down the road if any of us need the info.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:57 pm 
230 Mike

Sure! Maybe it'll be harder for anyone to blame me if it ends up being a mistake :) .

Once I have an opportunity to take a pic or two I'll send them to you to include there. If it would help, I can create a more edited text file and send that to you.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic