www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gatorhide trailers??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:40 pm 
Shark

does anyone have an opinion on the gatorhide trailers that FW offers??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:51 pm 
230 Mike

I haven't seen one other than in a showroom. It's kind of odd looking at first, but then it seems to make sense. My concern with it would be that bad things could be going on with the steel under the coating, and you'd never know about it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:12 pm 
Forty six and Two

I have one, its a great trailer, but havent had it long enough to know if it helps with corrosion. It is galvanized underneith the hyde so if it peels you still have that protection. Mine had a couple spots where it was rubbed off in transport. The FW dealer touched it up for me. It is great to walk on though when launching.

73 International Scout II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have been in the unusual position of having both a painted trailer and a Gatorhyde trailer for my 2006 Horizon 190. When I bought the boat it came on a painted trailer, but as I use it in the bay here, I would only take a galvanized trailer, so they gave it to me for a season on the painted trailer and recently replaced the trailer with a new 2007 Gatorhyde one - a good deal!!

My opinion - the painted trailer looked great, but would rot out in no time in salt water (from the inside). Even after one season I could see rust appearing in spots, despite careful rinsing after each use. Gatorhyde sure does not look as nice, but under the Gatorhyde coating it is a galvanized trailer that should last for many years in salt water.

I wonder why you could not get a galvanized trailer from FW that was painted for the best of both worlds...
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm 
I fix stuff

wish I had gone for the gator... mine is painted, and now instead of being able to take the boat to the gulf, we have to rent. how much is the 'gator?

2001 CBR1100XX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 pm 
230 Mike

You could probably take it to a Line-X place and get a quote on having it done. You wouldn't have the galvanized layer under it, but I've heard people say it's not very effective in salt water anyway.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:38 pm 

I had a galvanized trailer that was 30 years old (1977!) under an old ski boat, and it was in perfect condition despite salt water use - although the springs were getting pretty rusty. The key of course it to rinse it off after use.

Contact FW or a couple of dealers re the Gatorhyde trailer - the deal I did with the reseller her in Oz was pay $1000 to upgrade (no doubt he will use the old trailer for a boat in the yard). Was a bargain as I got a brand new trailer.

I doubt I would ever buy a non-galvanized trailer, even for use in fresh water. Just makes life so simple. Galvanizing forms a molecular bond to the steel that is almost unbreakable, whereas paint is an adhesive bond which is easily broken (chips, flaking etc.).

Just my thoughts on it!

:)

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 pm 
230 Mike

I was referring to the current generation of FW galvanized trailers. I've heard people who have them say there are many parts on them that aren't galvanized at all, and some areas that are galvanized aren't holding up as well as they expected (this is salt water only).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 pm 

I had a good look at mine Mike, and found most bits were galvanized - guards, rails, swing away tongue, axles, disk rotors, caliper mounts etc. Springs, shackles etc. are not gal, but are gatorhyde coated - doubtful how long that will last!!

I think you are right on a lot of the small stuff - nuts and bolts are all just zinc plated which I will replace after this season when they start rusting and show themselves!! I was surprised that they were not either stainless or gal. No big deal to fix, but I would have happily paid another couple of hundred bucks not to have to do it...

On the plus side, here in Oz, the trailers are also delivered with LED lights ( think the dealer does them) to meet local trailer regulations (must have red brake and amber turn signals). :D

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:09 am 
230 Mike

I really think FW would benefit if they'd have someone get on this board.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: Re: gatorhide trailers??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:03 am 
life to the full

A friend of mine gives this advice : regular painting even if it is an average paint job , is better than doing a you beaut wiz bang with all the bells and whistles paint job every 10 years. The thinking is this you will still get stone chips exposing bare metal on a good paint job as on a average paint job that is done often.

Post subject: Re: gatorhide trailers??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:35 am 

Starting on 08 Models, FW offers gatorhide option on non galvanized trailers for extra $160 or so it was no brainer for me to go with it. I have a boat house and lift (freshwater) and I do not use trailer too often so I never had any issue with non galvanized trailer before.
As far as I can see, it seems stronger (against chipping) than painted steel trailer. I will see how it holds up on 1st year.