www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:45 am 
Shark

We finally got the boat out on the water this weekend. It was about time! This thing called life seems to get in the way lately.

I inspected the trailer with the boat slipped and discovered it is time for some much needed attention. I am reaching out to FW experts (owners) for advice and suggestions. Please provide me your insight. It is much appreciated.

1. Bunks need replacing. I think I’ll go with Mike’s suggestion, “Bunks (2x6) extend a bit further back than what they normally do (how much), and outboard bunks which extend further forward than normal (to the next frame cross member). I assume some additional bracket and welding/painting is order. All hardware to be stainless steel.
* Mike, how much longer do you suggest?

2. Add a fixed buckle style tie down to the front of the trailer to attach to the bow.
*What brand?

3. Hangers, shackles, bushings, nuts, and bolts to be replaced.
*What size and suggestions? Does Napa carry these parts?

4. Oil bath hubs need serviced. One of the four began leaking on the inside of the wheel. Although I added fluid and have since stopped, I prefer to replace components.
*The fastest and easiest solutions is….?

5. How often to replace brakes and fluid?
*Are the clear caps still available, if not, what would you do different?

Last edited by jntwlsn on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:59 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well as far as nuts/bolts go. Use grade 8 plated hardware.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm 

If your using it in salt water, then I'd replace every nut and bolt with stainless...

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm 
230 Mike

When replacing trailer hardware, I can't see using anything but stainless. It does end up costing a bit with all the lag screws, etc., but cry once and then be happy you did it all right IMO.

On extending the bunks - mine only needed to be extended back about 1 1/2". The originals barely supported the transom, and didn't do that unless I had the boat as far up on the trailer as it would possibly go. I wanted to have a bit of leeway - say 1/4" to 1/2". So on the back, take a look at how yours are, and make a judgement as to whether you're happy with that. Maybe mine were unusually short. But it's very important that your transom be fully supported.

On the front, I had the outboard bunks extended up to the next crossmember - which is longer than they need to be, but that's the only place there is to weld on new stanchions. I had my shop do this work since they had the hoist to lift the boat off the trailer, the equipment to fabricate the new stanchions, and the experience and nerve to weld them on in the right locations at the right height. I previously bought a can of trailer touch-up paint and gave that to them to paint the new stanchions and weld areas.

On the bow tie-down, I used Boat Buckle brand. They make them in stainless and non-stainless. I went with stainless. Drilling the hole for it in the winch post support was harder than it looked - that's some tough, hard steel. Don't overlook using plain old chain, though. It doesn't look as nice but would be even stronger.

You should bleed your brakes at least every couple of years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the atmosphere. Bleeding them regularly will flush out the old fluid, or a good portion of it.

No expert here, I've just spent a lot more time and $$ on my trailer than I've needed to spend on my boat.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 pm 

Cadmium plated bolts don't carry currents..aka no galvanic corrosion. Very good in salt water against any metal.

Stainless attacks the bejesus out of aluminum in salt water. Plastic washers are a must with any aluminum contact (just look at any out drive). Stainless steel will also corrode the heck out of a galvanized trailer where ever they touch.

Stainless steel bolts are usually made from 304. They are weaker than grade 2 bolts and do rust in salt.

Go with cadmium plated bolts, at least grade 5. Install zinc anodes on the trailer.

Airplanes use cadmium plated hardware for that reason, not stainless. For severe underwater use they sell cadmium plated hardened stainless bolts that cost more than your trailer.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 pm 

One limitation of cadmium plating is hydrogen embrittlement of high-strength steels so not so sure I want to use these for suspension bolts...

But anyway, you can't buy cadmium plated bolts over the counter in Oz, only zinc. Cad plating was banned here 20+ years ago here due to its environmental toxicity and pollution of the waterways by various unscrupulous electroplaters over the years. Only exception is aircraft and military use and both cost a fortune!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 pm 
Shark

I guess I will have disassemble the suspension on one side and carry to Napa for a match.

The left rear hub is cambered. What might be the problem and how to repair?