www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:11 am 
Seahorse

NHPilot wrote:
That sure is a nice setup. I have a 210 I tow with a Tundra too.
In your picture the trailer appears to be substantially shorter than the boat. On mine the trailer is long enouph that the tie-downs drop strait down and forward a little with no contact with the transom. At such a long horizontal run between anchor points, that puts a lot of stress on the straps.
Most people figure that a boat weighs so much, where could it go? When you're rolling down the road and hit a good bump, the straps are really holding the trailer to the boat as opposed to holding the boat down. In fact, if you could lift the rear of the boat I bet you'd be surprised at how much verticle movement you'd have before the straps started working, simply because of the distance and angles. I even put a bow strap on mine. It goes straight down to the trailer so the winch is only used for loading.
Anyway, you got a nice setup there and it would be a real shame to have it messed up.
BTW, I'm usually on Sunapee but occasionally get out to Winnisquam, where I bought the boat.

Hey NH Pilot, Yes, the Tundra does fine with the boat. (Also towed larger and heavier aluminum v-front box trailer I have to Indiana and back with the Tundra and it did well.)

I think I have commented on the potential issues you raised in other posts. I'm mostly in the Winnpesaukee and Squam area. I have a place up there and visit the surrounding lakes. I used to do Winnisquam and Newfound when I was on the bass tournament trails, but haven't been there in recent years.

PS: Last time I was at at Sunapee ramp I met Steven Tyler at the ramp. He was visiting the little store with his (then young) daughter and dressed like he was on stage. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:26 am 
Seahorse

pet575 wrote:
Nhlakes,

Don't take offense to what anyone has to say about your nice new trailer. Everyone here is looking out for each other, and isn't looking to flame you over it. ...

I didn't mean to make it sound like I had taken offense at comments on the trailer. Believe it or not I view it as a hunk of metal designed to hold a hunk of fiberglass that allows my family and friends to enjoy time on the water.

As an engineer (ok, former of engineer, now deep into the bowels of engineering management :lol:) I find these aluminum I-beam trailers interesting. I admire the simplicity, clean lines and corrosion resistance of the trailer - but it is just a trailer. :lol: Trust me, I welcome comments good or bad on the trailer - and I appreciate comments from all of those trying to help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am 
Seahorse

Hey Brett, I appreciate all of your comments. Sorry if I sounded defensive. You started your responses with a defacto:
Brett248Vista wrote:
The trailer is too short for the boat, reguardless of what the capacity is rated at. ...
I was just trying to communicate that everyone doesn't agree. I'm not a structural engineer, so I need to defer to people in the business and rely on my own experience and research. I called probably 10 marinas when I was shopping around for a trailer. Based on the approx 4200lb dry weight of the boat, they all suggested a 5Klb capacity trailer. Good enough for me. True the, aluminum I-beam is designed a little differently than other trailers, but I trust that the trailer manufacturers know what they're doing, so I went with it. The trailer was not made for the boat, but the marina adjusted it for the boat.

I'm willing to give it a try and shared it here for the single purpose of helping out other folks who may find themselves in need of a trailer for a 230/240. If I have any issues over time I'll be sure to report them here - and give anyone credit who suggested it might be an issue over time.

Anyway, believe it or not, I appreciate all of the comments - pro or con. That is what these forums are all about.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:24 pm 
Goldfish

:lol: That's the ramp I use everytime I put in. Leaving the harbor takes you right by his house but I have yet to see him (Tyler).
We were just up near Squam a couple weeks ago. No boat, just camping.
I'd like to go back at some point with the boat though.

I don't doubt that the trailer may be strong enough or long enough. My comments were based on the picture and how the straps appeared to be routed. There appears to be a couple of cleats almost directly above the trailers lights. Maybe that would be a better spot to attach to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I e-mail this pic to a friend of mine that builds VERY high end trailers and has been in the business for many years. He does not do aluminums, but his factory is well known for quality and make thousands of trailers a year. Here what I sent him and his reply.

ME
Quote:
Is this trailer way too small for that boat? I dealer told him it was a perfect fit. Is it good to have the bunks hang out like that?

HIM
Quote:
A lot of aluminums are done this way. It looks like total crap but seems to support the boat properly. Just needs to make sure he has enough tongue weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:23 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Txjole wrote:
I e-mail this pic to a friend of mine that builds VERY high end trailers and has been in the business for many years. He does not do aluminums, but his factory is well known for quality and make thousands of trailers a year. Here what I sent him and his reply.

ME
Quote:
Is this trailer way too small for that boat? I dealer told him it was a perfect fit. Is it good to have the bunks hang out like that?

HIM
Quote:
A lot of aluminums are done this way. It looks like total crap but seems to support the boat properly. Just needs to make sure he has enough tongue weight.

It may or may not support the boat long term. The only way to know, is to follow up 10 years from now. But one thing that is sinking into my head is how common place it is to shaft the owners of these shiny new aluminum trailers for an extra foot or two of I Beam. And it's certainly not the way I would ever set up a trailer. And if I paid good money for a trailer and that's what was delivered to me, needless to say, something would hit the fan.

But that's just me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:16 pm 
Seahorse

Txjole, thanks for seeking advice for the experts on my behalf.

And thanks to everyone for the various comments.

Now to discretely put some quick-release down riggers on this thing before the wife notices............ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:14 pm 
230 Mike

That boat looks a lot more comfortable with the new straps :) .

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic