www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Have you or any others had any problems with excessive heat under your trailering covers? I bought a cover last fall for my 2005 horizon. The previous owner kept it inside year round and only had the bow and cockpit covers. I wanted better rain protection so I bought a cover from iboats. It is a semi-custom (could not find a custom for my 2005) sunbrella cover, but it is dark blue. It gets hot as hell on a warm summer day and I noticed that the vinyl striping along the top of the deck on both sides of the bow has become deformed. I am assuming it is from the heat under the cover. Maybe I should have ordered a four winns cover like this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11901
I love the cover. Keeps the boat so much cleaner. I'm considering having some sort of reflective liner sewn into the cover where it wraps around the bow to lower the temperature on the top of the deck.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm 
wkearney99

The factory cockpit cover on our 348 is sunbrella in dark blue and, yeah, it gets toasty under there. But it doesn't rest on anything that would be harmed by it. I wonder, is the factory cover for the horizon not made of the same sunbrella stuff? Something more breathable?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:20 am 
Villiage Idiot

Mine's black, and parked outside year around. Never had anything like that happening. Since it's an SS, there are plenty of decals under the cover, but no deformation or separation.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 am 

I had the local canvas shop put vented pole sockets in my moaring cover.. Something similar to this: http://www.go2marine.com/product/112093 ... nt-ii.html

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 am 

TFD2001 wrote:
I had the local canvas shop put vented pole sockets in my moaring cover.. Something similar to this: http://www.go2marine.com/product/112093 ... nt-ii.html

Did the vents make a big difference?

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 am 

Honestly, my boat rarely is not under cover, so heat wise, my experience is limited, but it does allow air movement under the cover, without allowing rain in, so I would have to think that it would certainly help in removing heat from it as well. I've never been under the cover (which is dark blue), while it was sitting at my house, and have it be much hotter under the cover than it was outside since installing... Part of the reason for my adding was that the original setup for the poles, were just snaps with limited reinforcement in the center of the cover, and while they had not gone through yet, I could certainly see it doing so, as they were starting to look a little worn.. Looks like something you could buy and do yourself, but I had the local canvas shop do it, because they have everthing there already, and they added reinforcement to the area as well, rather than just cutting out a hole and putting it in..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 pm 
Dolphin

This might be a bit late but you can get a custom cover for your 2005 Horizon 210 boat from Westland (I did and it fits like a glove). See here (with pictures): http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8527. I did end up cutting two holes in the cover for the Taylor Made Vent II after the pictures were taken (I purchased a second Vent II for the bow seating area after the pictures in my thread were taken). It took me a long time and a lot of thought before I finally got the courage to take scissors to my cover. My cover is navy blue also. It does seem hot under there in the middle of summer but I haven't seen any damage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:35 pm 

Do not let the cover touch the vinyl seats. It will turn them brown from the heat.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread