www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel Bearing size?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hey all, I have a 1997 Horizon 180, I am getting ready to work on my trailer and want to replace the bearings just for my sake and knowing what shape they are, Anyone know what size I would need to pick up ? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Wheel Bearing size?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm 

Others may know, but it's probably best to pull a hub off and look for the numbers etched on the bearings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:15 pm 

Ya , I was just trying to save me a mess, lol I figured I would just take them off and go match them up. Thought I would give it a shot first. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:31 pm 

If you have 6 bolt wheels I believe the bearings are 15123 and 15245 for the smaller (outboard) cup and cone, and 25520 and 25580 for the inboard cup and cone. I think you might be able to find these numbers in the 4 Winns web site parts list. I think the seal number is also listed, but I don't remember the number. I saw some discussion on bearing buddies (good vs bad), and agree that having them is better than not. I did have issues with grease being pushed past the seal and onto the drum brakes causing them to be relatively ineffective, despite not over geasing them. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 pm 

I'm looking for the bearings as well. I just learned the hard way over the weekend that you should pull them apart and check once in a while. I wanted to check mine over the winter but never had time. Had an outer bearing go out on Sunday and it wasn't fun. Luckly I saw it before the wheel came completely off. Got her the three miles home with the help of a towing company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 am 

Thanks guys, I have the 5 bolt lug. I am going to change seals and what ever else is needed tomorrow. If I have to I will just take them in and have them matched up. Man that's a bummer that your bearing went out. Glad you caught it before the wheel came off. That would have not been good. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 am 
Sting Ray

Sorry to raise an old thread but it's right on point, luckily I'm being proactive, tires aren't falling off but I know we'll be out at the lake a ton this summer and I want to freshen up the bearings. Factory trailer that came with my '94 Freedom 170 (5 lug), any idea what size bearings/seals it has? If no one can answer, I'll eventually post the figures and some pictures, I was hoping to have the new parts in-hand when I begin to remove the old seals though.

1994 Freedom 170
OMC Cobra (by Volvo Penta) 3.0L

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:29 pm 

Keep in mind that, if you change the bearings, you really should change the bearing races as well. If you put new bearings into pitted and worn races you're not going to get great life out of them.
Doing this job was a standard maintenance item on the cars I learned on because they did not have permanently lubed bearings on the front wheels as most do now. The bearings were exactly like trailer bearings. You had to knock out the old races from the disc or drum hub and use a bearing installation tool to seat the races.

So....what I'd do....is take em apart....clean em well in brake cleaner...and look at them carefully (use a magnifying glass) looking for pits in the rollers and in the races. If they look good hand grease em, and put them back together with a new seal, make sure to clean any grease off the friction surface of the drum or rotor and set the preload properly.

If you see pits in the rollers and the races in the hub then you should replace both. You can knock them out with a punch, put the new race in a freezer for a while, then install it with a bearing installation tool that you can also use on the gimble bearing. Use safety goggles when removing just in case....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:20 am 

Glad you dug this one up. I'll have to dig up the receipt and post the part numbers for mine. I ended up replacing all the bearings, seals and caps on my trailer myself. Also got a spare set to carry in the truck with the tools needed to change them. Next time there will be no Towing service called. :D

On a related note, anyone know the part number for the disc brake pads on a six lug trailer? I'm going to tackle the brake system this summer while the boat is off the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:39 pm 
Sting Ray

I dont know if ours is the same since yours is double but posting specs will help others if that's the case anyway

1994 Freedom 170
OMC Cobra (by Volvo Penta) 3.0L