www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Fun & Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 am 
Dolphin

I planned on repacking the bearings on the trailer yesterday so I bought everything for it Friday. Spent a great day on the lake Saturday but had a bearing blow on the way home (only 1/4 mile so it wasn't as bad as it could've been).

Between trying to get the locking lug nuts off without the key (never got it from the previous owner), trying to get the races out of the hub and trips back & forth to the store, it took about 7 hours to get that one side done. I'm taking the boat up to northern Wisconsin this weekend so I'm going to do the other side tonight. The good news is that I learned a lot so the other side shouldn't take near as long (I hope).

The dust cover flew off somewhere and I wasn't able to find it. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? I also didn't think about what size I might need so if anyone knows that I'd appreciate it. I was looking at these, even if it's just temporary to get me through this weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

I actually just redid my bearings a couple of weeks ago and I picked up new dust caps from the dealer, $9 I was going to use bearing buddies but my axle had grease zerts in them so I just replaced the old dust caps with new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 pm 

Do you have 5 or 6 lug hubs? I'm not sure but the dust covers maybe different sizes depending on what hub you have . If you need something quick just go to a trailer supply shop and get the right size dust covers. Does your axle have the zerk in the end of the spindle, or did it come with bearing buddies? Id try to get whatever it had on it originally. Did you get the grease all through the rollers and properly tighten the hub nut?
See this:

www.championtrailers.com
Look in the tech article section

And take those locking lug nuts and throw them in the garbage. The don't stop theft and one day that key will strip and you will throw your back out trying to get the miserable thing off. Had them on 1 car years ago never again.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:22 pm 
Dolphin

LouC wrote:
Do you have 5 or 6 lug hubs? I'm not sure but the dust covers maybe different sizes depending on what hub you have . If you need something quick just go to a trailer supply shop and get the right size dust covers. Does your axle have the zerk in the end of the spindle, or did it come with bearing buddies? Id try to get whatever it had on it originally. Did you get the grease all through the rollers and properly tighten the hub nut?
See this:

http://www.championtrailers.com
Look in the tech article section

And take those locking lug nuts and throw them in the garbage. The don't stop theft and one day that key will strip and you will throw your back out trying to get the miserable thing off. Had them on 1 car years ago never again.

Thanks for your reply. Mine are 6 lug hubs. They have the "Accu-Lube" covers with the rubber cap in the center. I went back and looked around but haven't been able to find it. I figured I'd just get two new of whatever so they're both the same. I haven't found any place locally where I can buy those same ones.

I had never done any of this before, so I had someone with a lot of experience that I fully trust help me with the greasing and he used a press to get the races/bearings/seals all in to place the correct way. He also checked the hub itself to make sure it wasn't damaged before I put it back on. I used the recommendations from the owners manual to get the spindle nut on the right way. Although it was missing the spindle washer for some reason so the nut doesn't cover the cotter pin very well. That's on my list of stuff to get for tonight. We just had to get it out of the street where it was sitting illegally. Luckily one of the town's two cops said I could leave it on the street for one night.

I had to buy a set of these sockets to get the lock nuts off, and I bought all new lugs to put on there so I don't have to worry about the locking nuts ever again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 pm 

As long as they are greased up by hand you can use a plain cover for the time being. I'd just go to a local trailer supply house and pick up one plain covet and then order the correct one and replace it when you get back.
Another great tool to have is an IR heat gun that you can get from Radio Shack and others. You can check your hub, brake and tire temps on a trip and you will know in advance if you have a problem.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:24 am 

IR heat guns are nice to add to the tool bag in the truck but if you haven't gotten one yet just use the back of your fingers to check the hubs. If they are getting hot you will know, just don't leave your booger picker on there long if they are hot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:15 am 
Dolphin

Thanks for the tips... I went back out to do the other side last night, but couldn't get the locking nut off on that side. I took it to a mechanic in town to see if he can do anything with it.

My plan was to use the spindle washer from that side to replace the missing one. Anybody know what size I need? Also any idea what size dust cap I need? In my brilliance last night I forgot to get the good one off for reference.

Supposed to leave on Friday with the boat on my trip. It's looking more & more like that won't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 am 

You have an FW trailer, right? I'd go on the FW website and look in customer service. In some years they have the trailer specs listed. And you need to find a local trailer supply place where you can just go and buy what you need. Pull off one hub and take it with you. Back when I started working on my own stuff (1972) no Internet we all had to find local sources.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am 
Dolphin

LouC wrote:
You have an FW trailer, right? I'd go on the FW website and look in customer service. In some years they have the trailer specs listed. And you need to find a local trailer supply place where you can just go and buy what you need. Pull off one hub and take it with you. Back when I started working on my own stuff (1972) no Internet we all had to find local sources.

Yes, it's the original FW trailer. Like I said, I was so pissed about not being able to get the last locking nut off, I forgot to get the other cap to find the correct size. The boat is over an hour away, and I wanted to pick up the cap today so I'm not wasting daylight later. Was just hoping to get lucky and someone might know off the top of their head. I did look on the FW site and they don't have any trailer info for my year. I sent a message to their customer service so we'll see if they have anything on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:46 am 

RChamberlin, worst case just pick up the two most common sizes and then take back the one that didn't work. I am trying to call my dealer here, I just replaced mine two weeks ago. I was going to ask him what size you need. I don't think they open till 9am. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear from them. Hang in there. :) do you have a single axle or a double axle?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 am 
Dolphin

Toddely wrote:
RChamberlin, worst case just pick up the two most common sizes and then take back the one that didn't work. I am trying to call my dealer here, I just replaced mine two weeks ago. I was going to ask him what size you need. I don't think they open till 9am. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear from them. Hang in there. :) do you have a single axle or a double axle?

Thank you very much! It is a single axle with 6 lug hubs. The closest thing I've found are these, but I'm not sure if they're the right size. I also thought about getting different sizes, but the place I went to the other day had a bunch of different sizes and I didn't know which were even close.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am 
230 Mike

On a 6 lug I think you'll find that it's that same cap but in a 2.44" OD size. But I agree, they're cheap, get a couple of each size for now.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am 
Dolphin

So after thinking about it and looking at different caps, I remembered trying to find a temporary one at the auto parts store. I remember the guy measuring the bore of the hub and saying 2.442". That would lead me to believe that THIS is the correct one. Seem reasonable?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am 
230 Mike

Yes :-)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 am 
Dolphin

230 Mike wrote:
Yes :-)

Thanks, sorry we must've posted at the same time. Now I just need to figure out the spindle washer size.