www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm 
Minnow

So, I'm about to give up the ghost on the miserable steel trailer that came with my boat when I bought it a few years back. I'm looking to purchase over the winter/tax season a nice aluminum bunk trailer and resolve to not stress about driving the trailer in 2014. But my question - I've looked at EZ Loader, Tidewater, Venture, Shorelander - anyone recommend one over the other? Some are torsion and some are spring, some are surge brakes and some are electrically actuated brakes.

I just get the usual sales pitch stuff from the marinas, so accordingly, each brand is apparently better than all the others. I'm sticking with bunks as that's what I know best and already decided that I wanted this one to be dual axel and LED lights. I have a 94 Horizon 190, and I dunk in both fresh and salt water.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated. Thanks much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:00 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't know if one is better than another I will leave that to the experts. I will say whatever you get stay away from anything that is a boxed frame. They rust from the inside out as you probably already know. this spring I went from a single axle box frame bunk to a duel axle c channel, leaf sprung and would not look back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 pm 

Late last year I ordered a new 2013 Aluminum trailer with all the bells and whistles available........Out here on the west coast There is a place outfit called West Coast Trailers that is partners with Magic Tilt trailers out of Florida.........

He took all kinds of measurements of my boat and had Magic Tilt custom build it to my boats dimensions..........I am very happy with the construction.....this thing is built so much better than that rust bucket that was supplied with my boat from Four Winns........

This new trailer Is all welded construction.......with welded bunk stand-offs and welded cross members.........rather than being a one size fits all "erector set" built with U-bolts..........

The only thing you will not like about a Magic Tilt is the price........I paid $5500..........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 am 

When we purchased our boat last year, we bought a trailer to both get her home, and be able to pull and haul to alternate locations during our seasons. We purchased a Vantage/Venture custom triple axle 18,000# carrying capacity aluminum I-Beam trailer with leafs. She has electric over hydraulic brakes. Pulls like a dream, and is rock solid. On the trip home to Illinois from Virginia, she was smooth and we ran 70 mph pretty much the whole way. The hubs and tires never got warm. The dealer we bought from was 4 miles from where the boat was at, and he got the trailer in, and took it to the boat and made final adjustments to it with the boat loaded to get everything perfect fit wise, and tongue weight wise.. Price for ours was a touch over $10k..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 am 

I just want to add my 2cents worth that you don't have to go with aluminum. The Hot Dipped galvanized trailers with open channel design also last 20+ years in salt usage. Even on the aluminum trailers pictured above, I see a lot of galvanized steel components. Aluminum trailers are great for a premium look and presumably some weight savings, but they cost more and could be more of a target for theft.

As far as brakes, Stainless Steel Disk brakes have become much more affordable. They wholesale at less than $400 per axel. And surge brakes are fine by me, although I cannot speak to mountain driving.

I don't have much to say about the different brands, but I have had a couple galvanized Continental trailers that I was happy with.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 am 

I have a '94 Load Rite single axle galvanized spring trailer. The frame has held up very well in salt water. If I was buying a trailer for a H-190 I would consider my use. If it were for me (local towing only) a single axle is fine, as long as it has the heavier duty 5200 lb capacity six lug axle and 15" rims and tires. If you do a lot of highway towing then the tandem makes sense, it is more stable when towing and you have an added safety factor for blow outs etc.
Surge brakes will work fine in areas that don't have long grades down hill. Then the added control of electric over hydraulic brakes is worth the added cost.
Many people will say that drum brakes are no good but that has not been my experience, I use them with success but I buy zinc plated drums, galvanized backing plates and I take off the wheel cylinders and pack the area under the dust boot with grease to keep the piston from seizing. I then seal up the boot to the cylinder with Hi Temp RTV. This makes them last at least 4 seasons. I also grease all the pivot points and the adjuster threads with OMC triple guard grease. I use a flush system but the greasing and sealing the boot is needed in salt water. There are now new boot less wheel cylinders that use an O ring seal and I am going to try them next. Disc brakes are easier to service but you can still have the caliper piston seize up unless you pack the area around the piston dust boot with brake grease. Pure electric brakes (drums) can work in fresh water but here in salt I doubt it.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm 

My dream trailer would be

Frame- steel or aluminum, open channel or I beam
I dont think there is much if any weight savings the aluminum ones need a much thicker crossection to get the same strength

Brakes
First choice - electric over hydraulic
2nd - electric
3rd - surge

Axles
Spings - the torsion axles have no way to equalize, so when you breakover the hump on a steep ramp you can overload the axles and damage the torsion device

Of course, LED lighting and stainless hardware, along with beefed up LT tires in lieu of ST tires

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:54 am 
Minnow

Thanks everyone! Good thoughts. I'll be looking in the offseason, maybe expand that search to include the galvanized trailers also. The boat cost me $5500 3 years ago, so I don't want the trailer to be worth more than the boat! Its the one regret I had on my purchase. I spend SO much time checking the engine, drive, looking out for rot, etc. when I was looking to buy that I completely didn't bother to look at the trailer. And while the boat has been reliable, most trips I spend my time worrying that the trailer is going to fall apart behind me while towing......