www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: life of trailer?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:54 am 
Seahorse

I have a 1999 OEM trailer. I have noticed this year when I release the bow strap from the bow hook the boat moves a lot. I can push up on the boat and it can move a number of inches away from the roller and back again. I don't remember seeing this happen in the past.

I looked for cracks and problem areas but did not find anything that would cause this. I did notice that some of the cross beams have some cracks under the welds. Wondering if the trailer is approching the end of its life but 8 years seems a little soon for this? I do trailer a lot during the short Michigan summers.

If I do replace it I want one that is more HD than the OEM. Any thioughts from other trailer owners out there?

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:35 pm 
Mental Floss

Scott, I'm going to assume that you have a painted trailer. They do corrode, from the inside out. They don't last here in Fla long with the saltwater.

It may very well be time to think about replacing it. Perhaps if you get your hands on a bore scope to get a peek inside the frame and see what the condition is.

If you decide a new trailer is on order, go aluminum. Strong and much lighter and no corrosion.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:49 pm 
230 Mike

As far as being able to push the boat up and down on the trailer - I just discovered a few weeks ago that I can do the same thing on my trailer that's only a year old, fresh water only, and stored inside. Is it possible you also just discovered something that's been possible all along? The cracks don't sound good, though.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 am 
Seahorse

Looked at the box frame closer and I think I may have a bent frame issue. There are a few dents on the bottom of the tube frame from the springs hitting. I think the portion of the frame may have bent down behind these dents. It is not a lot but it is there.

I was thinking that 8 years is not much for a boat trailer. seems like you see a lot of old trailers out there still going. Maybe they don't travel much. We do use ours a lot.

Any recomendations on a new trailer. I do want a more heavy duty type this time. I think the FW trailer can handle the load but not a lot of extra head room.

Thx for the replys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm 
Dolphin

I am thinking of replacing my trailer myself sometime in the near future. My trailer is 6 years old and is in great condition however since it's steel it won't last in salt water. I would recommend checking out Loadrite trailers. They are well-built, aluminum, andweigh less. I found a dealer in Ohio that is reasonable and will deliver to Michigan. They may even buy your old trailer. I would get the LED lights option. Hope this helps.

Fred 248 Vista

http://members.aol.com/piratemarinenet/home.html

http://www.loadrite.com/Boat_Trailers/A ... _Axle/130/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Scott
I just purchased my 248 And bought a 2005 Karavan Classic aluminum trailer for it. It only has two bunks so loading is alittle tough. It is a tandem axle and rated at 7k. They charged me 2500.00 for plus I had to install guides. Although I do not use it anymore, I decided to slip instead. To bad you dont live closer. I could give you a good deal on a trailer.
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 am 
Seahorse

Here is a update:

I looked at some trailers and took mine to a local trailer shop. He said that the cracks are normal and he sees this all the time. He also stated that he thought the trailer looked like new and he knew someone who would buy it if I wanted to sell. The dents in the frame from the springs are also normal and the frame is not bent.

Looking back I remember spraying Pledge spray farther down the bunk than I usally do. Just forgot to do only the upper part. I think that is why the bow was moving. The whole boat is sliding on the bunks.

After seeing what is out there, I am very happy with my setup. I had the cracks repaired (welded) and the replaced the right hub and put new brakes on that side as well. All trailers have the same problems that I am seeing. I think FW builds a nice trailer after seeing what else is out there.

Back to being a happy camper, I mean boater again :wink: