www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well thanks, I don't mean to sound negative but I hate to see people make decisions based on less than accurate information.
Especially about winterizing with that suck up the AF short cut.

Trailer brakes will be more maintenance, no matter what. You can try to minimize the problems by being more pro-active with the maintenance, but even marine designed systems have not always used the best materials, because frankly they are very expensive. As in stainless rotors and calipers for salt water. Like 600 per axle but you do it once and you're good. I can make drums last but it takes a bit of extra work. I use galvanized backing plates and zinc or galvanized brake drums.
Those oil hubs, sound like a good idea since hypoid gear oil does lubricate tapered roller bearings better than grease. But if they leak, you loose all the lube fast, at least with grease, you have some lubrication. I like the Super Lube (spindle lube, etc) hubs for greasing bearings, I have not had to repack mine in years.

If you stick with surge brakes 2 things will help them last longer are flushing g out the brake fluid every 3 years, and cycling the actuator a few times a month in th off season. Just like classic cars that are stored trailer brake systems can seize up because of moisture in the fluid and long periods of sitting in the same spot.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 pm 

You have to remember I'm a fresh water boater in Florida, no winterizing, no salt. They do make salt water friendly e-brake setups but of course no cheaper. You also have to remember that a whole new e-brake drum setup if one goes bad is $45. Replace the pads and caliper on a hyd setup for $45.. not happening.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 pm 

I heard that Fulton was making a marine electric drum brake but that was years back and I have not seen it anywhere since. I have heard that standard electric brakes can work in freshwater, for those who have that boating environment. I would still grease the pivot points for the shoes and the adjuster for sure. Also try to seal where the wires go into the magnet with high temp rtv or liquid electrical tape. At least they are cheap to replace, and the control factor is better if you have hills.

For me the surge drums have been fine. They stop well and the maintenance has not been that bad.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II