www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer wiring question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So, maybe this should be under "Electrical Stuff", but it is trailer related....

I'm looking to rewire my trailer which is galvanized with a "removable" tongue and disc brakes.

The current setup is a 7-pin round from my truck converted to a 5-pin flat plug at the trailer which changes to a 4-pin/4-pin flat with the 5th wire going to the reverse solenoid (presumably so that the wiring can be disconnected if the tongue is to be removed). The remaining 4 wires go back to the sidelights and brake lights.

So, my thought is: If I never use the removable tongue, it seems that having a 7-pin round from the trailer that connects to the truck and getting rid of the 5 - 4+1 connector gets rid of several potential wiring failure points. I'd have 2 unused wires, but that doesn't seem like a big deal....

Has anyone here done this, or am I completely missing something that I need to take into account?

Thanks!

Erik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 am 

There is nothing at all wrong with what you are proposing, except that you will not be able to take a tow from a friend that only has a "5 pin flat" or "4 pin flat" on their vehicle (or get the opposite adapter)

(note: you can hook a 5 pin trailer to a 4 pin vehicle, but the reverse solenoid will not work)

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am 

Agreed - everyone I can think of that might tow my boat has the 7-round on their truck. Seems to be more typical nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 am 
Villiage Idiot

My SUV is the 7-pin round (or flat, doesn't matter right now). I have a simple adapter from NAPA that goes to both 4 pin flat and 5 pin flat. This way I only need one adapter to tow my boat (5-flat w/ reverse LO), or utility trailer (4-flat) or any other generic trailer. Does that sound like what you need, or am I missing your point?
My connections in the adapter have had issues, but I clean them as needed and coat with No-Ox (same as for battery terminals).

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:02 am 

if it was me I am always thinking resale resale. I would continue to use adapter.. i use adapter all the time as my tahoe only has 7 at the truck. and i never have issues unless it is the actual trailer wires.. as for the ability to remove the tongue you have 2 options.. one being snake the wires thru the tongue (thats what i do and coil up on winch when tongue is out) you can also solder in a male and female 5 pin for a water proof connection and leave the long runner in the removable tong. Personaly if you spray electrical contact spray in your plugs once a year when you winterize your boat and spray the battery terminals and connections to prevent corrosion you should not have any issues with corrosions.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:37 am 

Jdpber wrote:
you can also solder in a male and female 5 pin for a water proof connection and leave the long runner in the removable tong.

This is essentially what my current setup is except the long runner is the 5-flat to a 4-flat that stays inside the removable tongue.
From my Tahoe, I have the 7-round to 5-flat adapter.
This has worked for the last 12 years, but I currently have some wiring issues and figured I'd explore simplifying the setup to remove several wiring connections. I do a lot of salt water boating and dunk my trailer frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 am 

Put a 7-round connector on there and don't worry about it; as you say, less points-of-failure. There's no need to worry about "extra wires"... those are used for trailer brakes. Get one like this, chop off your wires at the old connector, and connect it up.http://www.curtmfg.com/part/58140

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:59 am 

I ordered my new trailer with a 7pin round as that is what my tow vehicle has.......and I too do not like extra connection points.......

While hooking up a year ago I noticed the spring loaded door on my trucks 7 pin connector was cracked......so I bought a new one and instead of throwing it away for a cracked door I removed the door and made an adapter for 7 pin round to 4 flat AND 5 flat........I had the 4 and 5 flat connectors in my junk box so it ended up costing me NADA........I keep it in the boat for an emergency tow.......

If you don't want to make one.......you can buy one here for cheap...

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=20321