www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So when I bought the boat the there was a light out..I am pretty sure it was the starboard side, but it was 3 years ago...in anycase I made a stink of it and made the dealer replace it before we left the parking lot. I watched them replace it, took about 3 minutes. Well now the same one is out so I opened it up to get the bulb type/number and found this

Ok

Sealed Tail Lamp Capsule

SKU # WES-403348

But how did they connect this to my trailer????I looked at the wires (on both sides) and there is no cut no connector, etc. it looks as though the wires go all the way to the tongue...Is there some way to open this or something that disconnects that I missed?

TIA,

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:48 pm 

Chris, if it is a Four Winns trailer, were you able to pull the light capsule's wiring harness out of the trailer's box tube frame? The factory commonly tucked the extra wiring inside the trailer frame so it was not as likely to get snagged. If nothing else, you could cut the wires, splice, and seal the connections. Those capsules work great until a bulb burns out. I believe the bulb is an 1157, but once the capsule is opened up you will need to re-seal it, and that isn't too easy. Have you thought of replacing the lights with an LED kit? Its a bit more expensive, but more reliable.

Good luck.
Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:55 pm 

Thanks SI, I thought I pulled the wires out a bit from the trailer..but maybe I needed to pill a little more...I know they replaced one so there must be a splice somewhere. I am not even sure if the light is burnt out, or if its a wiring issue right now. I'll have to get back out there and look at it.

I would certainly replace with leds if the price was right..I am on a yacht with a budget of a raft right now hehe.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 pm 

use a hammer that is the only logical solution

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:35 pm 

mine just pull off the rubber seal same style but they have 3 screws holding the lens on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:34 am 

Agree with the above post about pulling the wires out from the frame a bit farther - on mine that's where the connector is. 50/50 chance it's a wiring issue and not the bulb, but once you find the connector you can figure that out.

Erik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 am 

Jdpber wrote:

You kill me, That is too funny,, true , but funny... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am 

Change over to LEDs ans a sazall

Last edited by Paul I. on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am 

Not sure what changing over to LEDs will give me? I haven't really had a problem with my lights, I don't have to disconnect to go in the water. So the fact that this problem is probably a wiring issue; LEDs will not prevent the problem from happening again they still have wires. I still have to fix the wiring issue (if that's what it is). I'd rather spend the money putting LEDs in the boat where they actualy will make a difference.

Also read that there is a TSb on a 2010 dodge ram with the trailer light connector not powering the left trailer light (exactly my problem!) due to an excess of plastic on the connector.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 am 

LVChris wrote:
Not sure what changing over to LEDs will give me? I haven't really had a problem with my lights, I don't have to disconnect to go in the water. So the fact that this problem is probably a wiring issue; LEDs will not prevent the problem from happening again they still have wires. I still have to fix the wiring issue (if that's what it is). I'd rather spend the money putting LEDs in the boat where they actualy will make a difference.

Also read that there is a TSb on a 2010 dodge ram with the trailer light connector not powering the left trailer light (exactly my problem!) due to an excess of plastic on the connector.

Understand, but.............. Once its done, it never has to be change. There sealed units, no corrosion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 pm 

[size=200]IED or stay in the stone ages your choice Mr. bag car phone. [/size]

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm 

Jdpber wrote:

As an old mechanic I had always heard, "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem."

I guess I might have to re-evaluate that as a future option.......... :idea:

Chris, sometimes you can look at an incandescent bulb like these 1157s and tell whether the filaments are broken. If they are good, and the capsule looks good, I would recommend seeing if the wire can be pulled out of the trailer farther to get to the splices. Be careful to not pull too hard or to peel insulation off the wires as they come out of the trailer frame. Another thing to check is the ground connection at the light. As I recall, there are 2 power wires going into the trailer frame, and maybe a third wire that goes to a mounting bolt for the light. If this ground wire is not making good contact you may not be getting a light, or you may be getting a weak or incorrect light indication because of feedback through the other element and circuit for that bulb.

You might also use a volt-ohm meter to check for circuit continuity.

I agree that the lights you have are a vast improvement from older versions. There is little reason to change them if they are relatively trouble free. I had those same lights on my previous boat trailer. One went for 15+ years of weekly dunkings, the other one was replaced a couple times. Trailers, especially boat trailers are known for having lighting issues. If the lights give you much trouble I would recommend going the LED route, budget permitting. They are more expensive, like maybe $50 more than your system. Hope this helps.

Gary

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Last edited by Surface Interval on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:24 pm 

Gary,

I agree. I looked at the bulbs (and I know that's not a good check) and they BOTH looked good. That's why I think it may be wiring because neither work. I was going to hit it with my volt/ohm meter but couldn't see where I could test since there were no splices in the wires. And the pod is sealed and looks good. And I think I will get many more years out of these once I fix this problem.

Now to fix my car phone in a bag...anyone got a hammer? :wink:

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 am 
Shark

You will find yourself repeatedly fixing the cheap lights on the trailer until you buy quality LED and then never have to fix them again. Its only a matter of time. Let us know when you have had enough fun with the original lights.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 am 

Obie...original lights on an 18 year old trailer...yes I hate having to replace the damn things every 18 years...better switch it all to LEDS

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA