www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 pm 
email admin your custom rank

One of my projects that I'd like to complete this winter is to replace the Hubs & Bearings on my FW trailer. When I noticed a seal leaking last summer and re-packed one of the wheels, the bearings didn't look in the best of shape, but were good enough to get by with. My goal is to have a fresh start in the spring.

First off, I have a '98 Four Winns Trailer for my Horizon RX

I'd like to order 2 hubs to replace what is on now and keep the older ones for spares. I'm just not sure what I need to order and what is best. Are the FW Trailers pretty standard?

I know it's a 5 on 4.5" Hub with 2 different size bearings (assumed 1-3/8 x 1-1/16).

Should I get something with a basic dust cover, bearing buddies, oil system, etc?

Here's one set that I was looking at: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6245&categoryID=187

While on the trailer improvement subject, I'm also looking to replace the jack. My trailer has holes that the jack is bolted into the frame, but all of the after-market one's I've seen have bolt patterns that go around the frame. I'd like to find something that will use the OEM holes, is there a specific jack that FW typically uses that should fit?

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:38 pm 
230 Mike

The hub & bearing questions can usually be answered by FW tech support. They gave me all the tech specs on my hubs & bearings. Once you have that, you can almost certainly get the bearings, races, & seals at a trailer shop or NAPA. The hubs, you may have to buy from Champion or through a FW dealer. I don't know what year they started using the Sure-Lube spindles or any of that, but if you've just got plain spindles & hubs, I'd probably go with Bearing Buddies. I think oil systems may become more popular in the future, but IMO they aren't ready for prime time on boat trailers yet.

FW can probably offer some advice on the jack, too, but if you've got a decent trailer shop in your area they may be the most helpful on that.

If you haven't already converted to LED's, I recommend that highly for a trailer project. Lots of bang for the buck IMO.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic