www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:26 pm 
Tadpole

Hi Everyone,

I'm heading out of town in a week (~220 mile trip) and was hoping to purchase a replacement hub kit (hub with bearings installed and pre-greased) to have along with me. Hopefully I don't need it, but I'd like to be prepared.

I know that my hubs have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Looking at the Four Winns parts catalog for my trailer (1999 Four Winns Trailer, Model D00331), it looks like the bearing sizes are 1.75" x 1.25".

All of the 5 on 4.5" hub replacement kits that I can find are generally 1 3/8" x 1 1/16" though. I cannot find one that is 1 3/4" x 1 1/4".

Soo, am I looking at something incorrectly? Is it possible that the 1 3/8" x 1 1/16" hub kits are actually the correct size and the parts listed on the four winns site are incorrect? It seems like a pretty basic single axle trailer, so it just surprises me a little bit that Four Winns trailers would be that different than everything else out there with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated, I'm pretty new at all of this. If I had more time, I would be take the hub apart to take a look. I'd prefer not to have to do that right before my trip though.

Thanks in advance!
-Eric

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 pm 
Shark

Did you check out etrailer.com?
You may see the dimensions you call out there.
Usually if you know your axle weight rating and 5 on 4 1/2 centers, you'll get the right hub.

It's also nice to know if your spindle is a simple straight spindle/ Usually is for that size trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Hubs_and_Drums-sf-Hub-sz-5_on_4~1|2_Inch.aspx

There is sometimes a # on the back side of the hub that you can cross reference. Mine is BT151A

I have a 2700 lb trailer, 5 on 4 1/2.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:38 am 
Tadpole

Thanks Doug, that's very helpful to know the number on the back of your hub. Unfortunately mine does not have a number like that, but knowing yours might help me narrow down what I need.

As for etrailer, I did look around there - I see a number of 5 on 4 1/2" hubs. The only thing is that I don't see any of them that have bearing numbers that match the bearing numbers from the four winns parts site. The four winns parts site lists the bearing numbers: 52280 Inner Bearing (1.75") and 15123 Outer (1.25"). Those numbers are from here: http://parts.fwdealer.com/Catalog/Categ ... G%2F99-Z00

The third reply on the thread at the following link mentions that in the past Four Winns used bearings with a higher than normal capacity on their 5 lug hub so I'm wondering if maybe that's what I'm running into here? The bearings are maybe not what you'd normally use/find so that may be why I can't find an off the shelf hub replacement kit that works? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13569

Finally, I see another thread that mentions these same bearings being used for their horizon 180: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11704 The only thing is that they're just buying the bearings, and not the whole hub replacement kit (which would just be easier to deal with if I had to use it on the road).

Thanks again for the info, I'll update this thread with anything more that I learn ... in the meantime, any additional thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks,
-Eric

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 am 
Shark

Do you have a typo in the 1st bearing number?

The 2nd thread you reference speaks of 25580 1.75" - Inner Bearing

I see this combination of bearings on etrailer. Looks like for a 5200 lb axle.

I entered your numbers on the FW site, but only the 2nd number is found.

When I Google these bearings, they come up as Timken parts?

When I try to find the hubs that use these bearings, I come up with these.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/8-174-5UC3.html

Something doesn't seem to add up?

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:58 am 
Shark

The other thing you may consider.
If you buy a spare hub assembly I assume it's to deal with a failed bearing.
I would think if you have a bearing fail, it would damage the spindle and you probably couldn't just slap a new hub and bearings on. Any scaring of the spindle would ruin the new bearing in short order.
If you don't notice the bearing before it get's too hot, it could weld it'self onto the spindle making road side repair difficult.

I just drove mine home from Florida with bearing seals that needed replaced (1100 miles)
I live in a condo and couldn't do the repair before I left.

I just squirted grease in them every 4-5 hours of driving.

If you're that concerned with them, I'd just make the time to replace. About 1 hour per side.

Otherwise, grease them up and you should be fine for 200 miles until you get time to repair.

When you take them apart, verify for future reference all your bearing numbers.

JMHO,
Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:36 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks again for letting me bounce these thoughts off of you. I agree, something isn't adding up with the bearing numbers I have. I think the only way to know for sure is to disassemble the hub and take a look at the actual bearings that are in there. I was able to find the 25580 number on the Four Winns parts site for my trailer. For the second number, four winns actually only listed the race on the parts site, so I inferred that number (15123) based on the outer race number. You're correct, I believe they're Timken parts.

I probably shouldn't be too worried about them for the trip, I'm just trying to be over-prepared. This will be the longest trip I've taken with it since I picked her up in early spring. I trailered it 150 miles home in spring and since then have mainly stayed within a 10 mile radius of my house.

Given that I'm leaving in a couple days and I've never actually replaced bearings on my own, I'm going to go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" methodology for now.

After more researching, I found that my trailer has the accu-lube bearing system that seems like it makes it relatively easy to replace the bearing grease. I think I'm going to take your advice here and just be prepared to add grease while I'm on the road if it any issues come up.

If I ever get to the bottom of the bearing numbers I'll post an update to this thread.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions!
-Eric