www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:50 pm 
GIDDY UP

Sorry I didn't take pics. Went to replace bearings & seals yesterday (now that I have a shop at home again). Pulled off the wheels and to my amazement the inside treads were GONE on the rear tire. There was a bald strip that would be between the first and second line of treads. Probably had 100 miles left before cords were showing. The front axle tires were worn the same way but 50% less. These are the original Carlisle Sport Trail.

Are the axles supposed to be slightly bowed down in the middle to create a 'centering' effect for the tires? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
230 Mike

It would either have to be a bent or defective axle or severely mis-adjusted wheel bearings. Is this still the original tires? If so you've probably had a defective axle since new; if not, did the previous tires do the same thing?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 am 
GIDDY UP

These were the OE tires. Last week I replaced the bearings and seals in all 4 hubs. Also had to replace the rear tires. Honestly think turning wears them. After replacing everything and taking a test pull around the block, you can see that the trailer pivots on the front axle and drags the rears around.

Oh well, will keep an eye on it. It's been 10 years so not like we didn't get our moneys worth.

On to the bunk rails now....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I changed my rear tires last year for exact same issue....i have read others with same situation....im thinking it's just the way these trailers are set up, braking and weight distribution .... i just keep an eye on it and change tires when needed. Sounds like we have few trips but kind of of long ones when we go.

I stop and feel tires and hubs when pulling and they are always good to the touch.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 pm 
230 Mike

It's true that all multi-axle trailers do that; mine's the other way around - my front tires get dragged. It still seems odd to me though that you'd have such uniform excessive wear like that.

Did you replace the races too? :twisted:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am 
GIDDY UP

230 Mike wrote:

Did you replace the races too? :twisted:

HA! There's one in every crowd.

NOPE! The races were in perfect shape. Heck the bearings were in great shape too. Just the cages had some pitting so replaced them all. The hubs needed cleaning out anyway. Both back wheels kept getting grease on them from the hubs being full after hitting the zerks for so many years with a shot of fresh lube.

Mike, I'm guessing it has everything to do with weight distribution. If our 210's sit heavily on the front axles and wear the inside of the rears, The 230 must sit heavy on the rears.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have to do the double lip seal on one of my rear axles, I don't lose any oil, but I get water into the oil when she's been submerged

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 am 
GIDDY UP

Theoretically, we should all let our axles cool before backing the boat in at the ramp. No one has time for this though.

That cool water gets sucked in due to the rapid temperature change in the hubs.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:58 am 
Guppy

I normally stop at the top of the ramp and get everything situated. Probably takes less than 10min but I imagine that lets them cool down.

Either way, its normally warm when youre boating and the water is normally cooler than the air... There will always be a temp difference to some extent...