www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

Surface Interval wrote:
Oldav8tor wrote:
At our local ramp we joke it is the cheapest entertainment in town. Forgetting to put in the plug, remove straps, tow vehicle launching itself, ramming the dock, 2wd pickup spinning it's tire, unable to pull the boat out of the water..... A lot of people obviously are newbies so I and my friends are quick to offer a hand...in the long run it speeds up the process for everyone. Another observation, the smallest boat always has the most passengers :-)

You didn't mention whether you have a bunk or roller trailer.... Bunk trailers usually have to be rolled in a bit deeper to float the boat off but in either case, once the boat starts to float you don't have too much more than the trailer to deal with. Sounds to me like you've given everything careful thought and I suspect things will go smoothly for you. Preparation is the key to efficient launching and recovery. I don't think I'd want to try by myself if I didn't have to. Launching wouldn't be too bad but recovery would present more challenges.

+1 on the entertainment value. I have even been "boo'ed" by the audience for not having any problems that were amusing enough to those watching! Thankfully that didn't happen very often...

LOL, that is hilarious!

I might need to grab a lawn chair and head to the ramp early tomorrow with a video camera. The weekends are prime time for comedy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:00 pm 
Clownfish

The tow vehicle for my first boat was a manual shift 4x4 and there were times it was not fun launching and retrieving... After one incident of stalling and rolling back a couple of feet with the boat loaded on the trailer my wife flat out refused to ever do it again. The next tow vehicle was a similar 4x4 with automatic but she still wouldn't do it.

A number of years, new (to me) boat and a tow vehicle that is a 23 foot Dually Dodge Sprinter van has put a new perspective on it. The van doesn't get wet and with the roller trailer launch and retrieval is mostly a non event. I coaxed her behind the wheel before she realized what she was doing and things have gone smoothly since. :-)

One of the worst things I see is guys pulling boats with big trucks that are only 2wd. Get a little slime on the ramp and they just spin and spin. I would never own a pickup that didn't have a non-slip rear end at the least.

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor