www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:02 pm 
Minnow

Quick back story -- I am road tripping up to Michigan at the end of March to pick up my parents 1987 Horizon 170. I haven't seen the boat in about three years.

My main concern is just the trailer at this point. I want to make sure it can handle a four hour trip back to where I live at. I know the tires will need to be replaced. I was hoping to buy a set of wheels and tires so when i get up there, I can just swap them on. The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea what size tires and wheels I need. I called Four Winns and talked with a guy name Roy was very helpful but the oldest information they have is for a 1988 Horizon 180. He said the tires that came on those trailers were F78-14ST Load-C 5 lug with a 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

I'd imagine this would be the setup I would need for the trailer. If worst comes to worst, I can limp the boat and trailer into town and get new tires put on at a tire shop.

I just figured I would toss this out there in hopes of someone having some knowledge and could lead me in the right direction.

Any other things I need to be aware of before I road trip the boat and trailer back? I know repack the bearings with grease and make sure all my lighting works but not sure of anything else to check.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:51 pm 
230 Mike

Good straps, and make sure you have everything with you that you might need to change a flat on the way.

Are you sure the wheels need replaced? If it were me I think I'd wait to get up there, but then I don't know all the particulars.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:02 pm 
Minnow

Well from what I've been reading, people have been saying trailer tires have a life expectancy of 5 years. My parents have owned the boat for at least 5 years and of that time, I never remember them getting new tires.

I think I might call some tire shops of there and see about when I go up there, just bring the wheels to them and having new tires put on. I can leave the boat and trailer on jack stands while I run it into town.

Thanks for the other tips too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 am 
email admin your custom rank

1. Welcome

2. I would also check the brake actuator and fluid levels to make sure the brake system on the trailer (if any) is functioning properly. Maybe also check the winch to make sure that it operates smoothly and properly. Especially if that thing has been cranked up tight all this time. Might want to consider replacing the strap before you go anywhere. If it looks OK (no fraying, splitting, signs of strain/excessive wear) then you're probably OK to at least get it home. If it is the original, I would definitely replace it before summer though.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 pm 
life to the full

Apart from what has already been mentioned check the springs and also look underneath for any signs of cancer (rust) in the main structural framework. You may want to have bit of a poke with a screwdriver to do this
Hope it all goes well
Ardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'm with Mike, wait till you see the tires. Just because they're old, doesn't mean they're dead. We had our tires on the old boat/trailer for 12 years. Never had an issue. we finally replace them as the sidewalls were cracking and comming apart.

If the wheels have been sitting on the ground this whole time, I might be a bit concerned in regards to some flat spots, or it they have been in the mud/grass, rot.

Good luck! We expect pictures when you bring her back.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:15 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the tips everyone. I feel more confident heading up there now knowing what I need to make sure is checked on the trailer.

I'll definitely wait on the tires till i get up there. Being that it is a big boating area, I am sure tire shops will have what I need when I get up there. If the tires are so bad where I don't even feel safe bring the boat into town (about 15 miles) then I will just put the boat and trailer on jack stands and take the tires into town. Then while I run into town, my buddy can check out the hubs and bearings to make those are ok.

You guys have been an awesome help. Thanks again.

I will be taking pictures to document this adventure. Haha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:12 pm 
230 Mike

Keep in mind that you can't tell much from the outward appearance of the tires. If they're all cracked, obviously that's bad but if they aren't it doesn't mean they're good to go. But between their appearance, being sure of how old they are, how they've been stored, etc., etc., you can make the right decision once you're there. If you end up needing something done that you aren't expecting, you'll be in a good position to just get it all done at once. Good luck!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:36 pm 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

Where is the boat? If it is close, I can get some specifics for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:58 pm 
Minnow

St. Louis Dave wrote:
Where is the boat? If it is close, I can get some specifics for you.

Grand Junction, MI is where its at.

It's about 15 miles east of South Haven. I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't want to put you out of your way.

The other thing I added to the list of things to bring is latex gloves. Makes repacking those bearings alot less messy :mrgreen: