www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bearing replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

One of the best things I did to my old 94 Load Rite trailer was to get a new axle made by Champion Trailers in Slidell, Louisiana. This axle came with spindle lube hubs which have the grease zerk in the spindle. The way it works is that you remove a rubber cap in the dust cover on the hub/drum. This exposes the zerk. When you grease it, the grease goes thru the spindle to the inner bearing, through the bearing and then through the outer bearing. You spin the hub/drum while greasing so the grease gets all through the rollers. The grease will then come out the opening in the dust cover. You then just replace the rubber cap. As long as you see grease that is not water contaminated you're good to go.
As far as the bearing adjustment, the way I did it is on Champion's website. Basically you tighten the spindle nut until it's snug while spinning the wheel, which seats the bearing. Then you back off the spindle nut and just tighten it until it's hand tight, and replace the cotter pin or bend down the locking tab. There should be a very slight amount of play that you will feel, by rocking the tire/rim in and out by holding it at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. If there no play at all, the bearings will wear quickly when they heat up from normal running.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II