www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rav4 Owners
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:46 pm 
Dolphin

I get 16-17 freeway with my F-150 when I am not towing the boat. Overall, it is about 15 combined city/hwy. 20mpg vs. 15 mpg is 330 gals. per year at 20000. That is less than $100 per month (at $3 per gallon) for the piece of mind I get pulling my boat with something a lot more capable.

Figure in the lower maintenance costs over 5 years and that is likely cut in half. The insurance is a bit less also. Ask your carrier what the towing rider is for the SUV you would like to tow with. Some won't even give you a rider for certain vehicles.

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 am 
230 Mike

For years I was blindly "American only." On the other hand, I see an awful lot of people who buy "foreign" (which really means nothing anymore IMO), just as blindly.

At this point I'll buy whatever I believe strikes the best balance between purchase cost, operating cost, serving my purposes the best, best for my country, best business practices by the manufacturer and its dealers, etc.

Thus, I bought a new Ford 11 years ago and will likely buy another. The fact that they've so far rejected the government takeover now plays a role in that decision. The other car in my garage is a 2007 Honda Odyssey, our 2nd Ody after the first was totaled out by another driver. The pre-'07's were great vehicles. The '07's and up are outstanding with the new transmission.

We've also got a 2000 Grand Prix. At 115K miles, it's still transportation but it's quickly becoming a rattle trap and a maintenance problem. Your typical Honda at the same mileage, assuming proper maintenance, would be considered "broke in." Although I consider what's happening at GM tragic (I was "all GM all the time" for a lot of years), I also feel they've done this to themselves. Sorry folks - GM cars may be great for the first few years, but the long term quality is not up to par in my experience.

Sorry for the hijack.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

What about a Ford Escape - with 240 horse it would have plenty of power.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm 

LouC wrote:
OK I'll say it Mike.....I buy American whenever I can....I have had and had liked Japanese cars...but in Detroit's time of need...I just don't feel good about continuing to do that....even tho my beloved Mopar is in Chapter 11....I have not given up on them....and Ford is actually not in bad shape...could be a Ford in my future.....

we need more people like you in this country!

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 am 
McLovin

The escape is still a small suv. My rav4 has 270 hp towing is no problem. But trans wear and braking may be. Just make sure you stay within the towing capacity of the vehicle and you will be just fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:01 pm 
GIDDY UP

I've been a die hard GM guy since high School. Purchased a '89 GMC Sierra at 17. I've since owned an '87 T/A, '00 Sierra 1/2, '03 Sierra 3/4 gas, '04 Sierra 3/4 Dmax, & '07 Avalanche.

When the new Tundra came out, I gave it a shot b/c the truck was way more capable than GM trucks for less money. This caused a switch to Toyota . Why can they do it & GM can't. I don't mean read the specs in the brochure. Do the tests yourself. I hate to say it but, GM did this to themselves. UAW probably hasn't helped much either. Do any of you know how many GM execs are making over $.5M/yr? Then get "let go" with multi million dollar severances? I don't like having this stance on a fine US manufacturer but the truth hurts. If it weren't for the Corvette and the new Camaro, I would write GM off completely.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 pm 

Brent87LT1 wrote:
I've been a die hard GM guy since high School. Purchased a '89 GMC Sierra at 17. I've since owned an '87 T/A, '00 Sierra 1/2, '03 Sierra 3/4 gas, '04 Sierra 3/4 Dmax, & '07 Avalanche.

When the new Tundra came out, I gave it a shot b/c the truck was way more capable than GM trucks for less money. This caused a switch to Toyota . Why can they do it & GM can't. I don't mean read the specs in the brochure. Do the tests yourself. I hate to say it but, GM did this to themselves. UAW probably hasn't helped much either. Do any of you know how many GM execs are making over $.5M/yr? Then get "let go" with multi million dollar severances? I don't like having this stance on a fine US manufacturer but the truth hurts. If it weren't for the Corvette and the new Camaro, I would write GM off completely.

EXACTLY That's why I have a Acura & Toyota in the garage!

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]
Life Long Boston Bruin Fan 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!! :-)