www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

After I launch my boat, my front tires are off the ground. Only the rear tires are making contact. Just curious why this is done and is FW still making trailers that do this? I had a '99 Sundowner and it did not this at all.

Post subject: Re: Why???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:52 pm 
Goldfish

Your drawbar sounds too high. My guess is that your hitch is too high for the trailer. When the trailer and boat are unhitched from the pull vehicle, level the trailer using the jack and measure the distance from the floor to the receiver. Then measure the height from the floor to your hitch ball. Most trucks need a drop of several inches from the hitch receiver centerline to the ball. The correct way to assure the trailer and pull vehicle are matched is to measure the weight placed on the tongue when the trailer is hitched to the pull vehicle. It should be at least 10% and maybe a bit more, of the total weight of the trailer and boat. Not easy to measure and I'm not sure you must do so if you get the height correct, since FW trailers are matched to the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

dg...it is not that my hitch is too high. It is right where it needs to be. I do know what you mean about most hitches being too high. Infact, mine could be raised a inch or so. Whathappens to mine is almost like the suspension on the rear tires has more travel than the front, so when the weight is taken off it raises the front tires off the ground..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:11 pm 
Shark

at the top of the ramp, you put most of the pressure on the front axle, thus causing the pivout between the leaf sprigs to shift. Why it does not just pop back down, I do not know!

I have seen this happen to others, but never had it happen, personaly!