www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:48 pm 
Minnow

Hi there, I am doing my trailer over , while the boat is off it for a week or so. I am replacing the winch with a Fulton F2 3200 2 speed winch. cleaning up any rusts spots, as well as doing the bunks. Just a question, the main bunks are currently 2 x 4 , would there be a problem replacing them with pressure treated, waterproofed 2 x 6's ? I would still do the two outside shorter bunks in 2 x 4 's , I looked at the hull and there is plenty of room for the two by six's to sit nice and flat against the hull surface.
I just figure it might be a little sturdier.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 pm 
Shark

MIne was and I replaced them with pressure treated 2x6's both inside and outer ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just changed a bunk on my h200 '07 trailer recently. I used a treated 2x4, but I can tell you that I could have gone with 2x6 if I wanted to, it will fit. Working by yourself, it may be harder to hold it on the angled surface while you make line up dots from the mount holes underneath, but it is possible. I used Irwin quick grips to hold mine to the opposing mounts when I marked them. The grips may not have worked with the thicker board.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Never had a bunk trailer only the roller. Just replaced one cracked rubber roller today took about 5 min. I'm thinking pressure treated wood would be the cheapest/most practical way to go, unless you want to use standard lumber and coat with epoxy (for sure would cost more but I bet you'd do it once and never have to do it again). I have used PT plywood for seat bottoms and if it stays wet, guess what, it still rots! I had this with the bow seats in my bow rider, the water collects from rain in the corner of the where the cushion sits. I've replaced them 2x since I've had the boat. So if I were redoing a bunk trailer and did not want to do it twice, I might consider something more rot resistant than PT lumber....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II