www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wiring Harness Problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:08 pm 
Guppy

I have a problem. I have no right turn/stop light on my trailer. I thought it was the trailer, but after having that fixed have found out it its my Jeep Cherokee. I tore into the wiring today and isolated the wire which must be bad, but followed it back as far as I could with no sucess. Has anyone had this problem. Does anyone know a good wiring guy? I don't want to spend a fortune. Will take my chances with one brake light for the rest of the season if it is going to be too expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 pm 
230 Mike

Is the right tail light working? Start with the possibility of bad ground at that fixture, that's the most common point of failure.

Do you have power at the Jeep's connector for that light?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm 
Guppy

My jeep lights are fine. I have power at all terminals in harness except right turn/stop. I thought it might be the plug, but I checked it out and seems fine. The wire for the right turn/stop (brown/white wire) is dead as far back as I can get under the jeep. Followed it back as far as I could looking for the problem. Ground would kill just one terminal would it? My other lights work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:12 pm 
Starfish

My guess is that your connector from your vehicle, or possibly the trailer is bad. Have someone watch the light and wiggle the two back and forth while connected. You'll probably be able to get it to work. I had the same problem with mine. When I towed it was intermittent but with my buddies truck it always worked. After wiggling the connectors and getting mine to work, I just replace the 4-prong on my Tahoe and it works great! You can always simply test the harness before tearing into the wiring also.

Nubby

Living the DREAM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 pm 
230 Mike

I'm probably tired, but I'm not sure I understand. The Jeep lights are OK, I'm with you there. Are you getting voltage at the correct pins in the trailer connector on the Jeep?

Normally there are only hot wires running to your lights; the circuit is completed to ground by the housing being screwed to the trailer frame. Any corrosion where the housing is mounted (or where the light's pigtail ground wire is connected if it has that) will cause just that light to not work.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:17 am 
Guppy

230 Mike wrote:
I'm probably tired, but I'm not sure I understand. The Jeep lights are OK, I'm with you there. Are you getting voltage at the correct pins in the trailer connector on the Jeep?

Normally there are only hot wires running to your lights; the circuit is completed to ground by the housing being screwed to the trailer frame. Any corrosion where the housing is mounted (or where the light's pigtail ground wire is connected if it has that) will cause just that light to not work.

Everything works except right turn/stop light on trailer. Had someone work on the trailer for me I found out it was my tow vehicle. I have voltage to the Harness everywhere except terminal for right turn/stop. Followed wire back from harness as far as I could and it was dead as far as I could reach. Pretty sure that wire has to be bad somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:12 am 
230 Mike

If you're sure the problem is in the Jeep, any decent mechanic ought to be able to troubleshoot it for you.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:54 am 
Dolphin

I don't know what year your Cherokee is but if it has the factory tow package you could have separate fuses for the trailer harness. I know the newer Dodge trucks have the separate fuses so you might want to eliminate that first.

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 pm 
Goldfish

I agree you need to look for the fuse. Do you unplug your harness from the tow vehicle when you put the trailer into the water? That could help if it is a poor connection. (Just don't forget to hook it up again when you leave). As already pointed out, you should look for the grounding at the light as it is usually the problem. Clean up any corrosion and put on a little connector grease (make sure it's conductive, not regular wheel bearing type).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

This is a pretty simple fix. Remove your right tail light and splice a new wire down to the trailer harness. Just abandon the wire that goes to the front.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:52 am 
Narwhal

Is your Jeep still under warranty? If so run it by the dealer. If not, and you don't feel like splicing and running a new wire as m_n_g suggests, you could have it fixed by your local u-haul dealer (or equivalent).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:23 pm 
Shark

Do you have the JEEP mfg'd tow harness plugged into the JEEP or an after market brand? I went nuts thinking it was my old Karavan trailer last season also had the same problem on my utility trailer. I used 2 different models from (can't remember who mfg'd it a name brand of trailer parts) E-trailer & the local trailer dealer. Come to find out the diodes in the harness couldn't handle the power w/the 3 tail light newer vehicles. I went to JEEP dealer got the Harness made for the liberty, installed it & have not had a problem since.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:27 pm 
Shark

jzellers wrote:
I don't know what year your Cherokee is but if it has the factory tow package you could have separate fuses for the trailer harness. I know the newer Dodge trucks have the separate fuses so you might want to eliminate that first.

I don't know if the 05 Cherokee has seperate fuse, BUT I know the 07 has one for each R/H, L/H trailer brake, parking lites in the fuse box under the hood. Look in owners manual for the exact location .I fixed my neighbors + he had a bad trailer gnd.