www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I need to...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:47 am 
Shark

Move my boat up onto the trailer a little bit more. Maybe 1.5-2 inches. I have about that much of the boat hanging off the rear end of the trailer, not to mention that when you step onto the boat from the rear the double axle trailer rocks back onto the second axel. I have an '88 235 Sundowner sitting on a new twin I-beam aluminum trailer.

Anyone agree/disagree?

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

Post subject: Re: I think I need to...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:22 am 
email admin your custom rank

The boat should be supported right back to the transom (Bunks right to the back).

AS for the weight distribution, you should have about 5-10% tounge weight (Correct me if i'm wrong) to ensure stable towing. My 180 sits on the trailer and I can climb on the swimplatform and she won't move. Nice and stable on the trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 am 

Your dilemna is more to do with tongue weight than anything else. You need to make sure you have enough weight on the tongue to load the vehicle but not excessively....Have you towed it on this trailer yet at highway speeds? If it handled OK in this situation, you can move the boat up but it may not be necessary. The axles are made to shift but both of them should be solidly on the ground. I get very little flex out of my suspension when I climb the swimplatform ladder onto my boat whether it is on the truck or not.

Try moving it ahead, you are the one that has to be happy and confident with how your boat is stored on it's trailer and the way it handles behind your tow vehicle.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:01 am 
Shark

I have towed the boat since we bought it. We are right at the max. for our vehicle at about 5,000 lbs. I didnt have any trouble starting and stopping but as I got above 60 mph we started to weave slightly. It was just a quick drive to the boat ramp at the lake, about 20 mins. and on a rural 2 lane road so I just kept it at 55 mph. Would adding tounge weight, if I move the boat up, worsen that weaving condition at highway speeds? As Rob mentioned, the boat is not all the way on the bunks so I think it needs to move up some.

I've had to add a trailer brake control module to the Jeep. As well as a transmission cooler, and I don't use overdrive when I'm towing the boat.

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 am 

Moving the boat forward will add some tounge weight and improve stability on the highway. If you weigh the boat on the trailer, get a scale and move her forward untill you get the weight in the range at the tounge IE: 5000 lbs =250-500 lbs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:54 am 

As most of the replies have noted, you will likely have better towing (less sway) with the boat moved forward. Additionally, if the trailer bunks stop short of the end of the hull, at the transom, you need to move the boat forward for proper support of the hull. If the bunks do not run to the end of the hull (or past), you can create stress on the hull bottom and create cracks or a "hook" at the rear of the hull's running surface.

Is your winch stand movable or is it welded in place?

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

Last edited by M3eater on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:03 pm 
Shark

M3eater wrote:
As most of the replies have noted, you will likely have better toing (less sway) with the boat moved forward. Additionally, if the trailer bunks stop short of the end of the hull, at the transom, you need to move the boat forward for proper support of the hull. If the bunks do not run to the end of the hull (or past), you can creat stress on the hull bottom and create cracks or a "hook" at the rear of the hull's running surface.

Is your winch stand movable or is it welded in place?

It is moveable so I think I'm good to go to move the boat up a bit. I'll have to see about finding a scale to use but that's a great suggestion!

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L