www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'll clear this one up regarding the Expy's as I have an '04 EB and thoroughly researched this awhile back. Expy's with the optional upgraded tow package come with the round plug connector and a larger tranny cooler. My Expy does not have that and if it doesn't it only has the flat 4-wire connector and a smaller tranny cooler. If you have the flat 4 pin, then you do not have the upgraded tow package regardless of what motor you have. Instead, you have the basic tow package that ever post '03 Expy has. I have the 5.4 and like i said, no upgraded tow package.

I had a discussion with my Ford dealer regarding this because I was concerned about having the maximum towing capacity available. He indicated to get it to be an equivalent for rating purpose he would only suggest upgrading the tranny cooler. We discussed putting the stock one from Ford that they use and opted against it. Its only marginally bigger. We compared them. Much too expensive so I went aftermarket. Never installed it. Anyone want to buy it? Its a top of the line one.

As for the 4 wire, I had a local trailer shop simply wire a 5 flat plug where my 4 was. Doing so, they use the back up light power I believe to power the lockout selonoid. So you need to get rid of the 4 (not use an adapter) and have a 5 flat plug wired up. Worked perfect for thousands of miles. That is your solution if you have a lockout selenoid or want to add one so you can back up without using the pin.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 pm 
230 Mike

And what Cincy just described is true on the Expy's and F150's back at least to '98, and I would bet, still is.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 am 
Nauti Luv

All of that makes perfect sense. Since on the soon to be mine Expedition has the wire already there, I just need to splice in the 5 flat plug. The blue brake wire is already there, just capped off.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:58 am 

Taking future purchases into consideration.... I would have (or install myself) a 7 prong female receptacle and use an adapter. This way you can add future electric brakes, and a live feed (for say a camping trailer). This type of setup will cover you for anything you may require in the future.

The receptacle

The adapter

Go to http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com for further information and ideas.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 am 
Nauti Luv

I just ordered a 4 flat vehicle side, to 5 flat trailer side adapter. Since the Expedition has the wire already in place, it should be a no brainer to put on. The reality is that we probably tow with my wifes vehicle only 2-3 times/year, so its not that big of a deal. I do however want her Expedition ready IF its needed without any hassles.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 pm 
Nauti Luv

I got the adapter in and put it on yesterday....took all of maybe 2 minutes and that included getting my wire cutters.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:26 pm 

Where'd you buy that adapter? My Durango has a 4-flat, and 7-round, and I use an adapter for the 5 flat. I'd love to remove the 4 flat and put a 5-flat in its place. I've had an adapter go bad before and it wasn't fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 am 
Nauti Luv

Here it is:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~47515.htm

Made by Hopkins. I called Hopkins direct and they said 9.95 for the part and 10.00 for shipping. I got it from this place for less than 15.00 shipped.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 pm 
Dolphin

Sorry to bring up an old post but found this when researching a problem. I've got a 4 prong on my truck and trailer has a 5 prong. I'm going to order the adapter that aguyindallas ordered from etrailer. Could not having the 5 prong so far give me trouble with releasing the latch on my hitch after backing into the driveway? Sometimes I'll get lucky and the trailer will come off the ball, but most of the time I'll have to pull the truck away leaving the reciever hooked to the trailer before the latch will lift up. Just trying to get this figured out cause it's a real pain. Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:29 am 
Sting Ray

WyliePirate wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old post but found this when researching a problem. I've got a 4 prong on my truck and trailer has a 5 prong. I'm going to order the adapter that aguyindallas ordered from etrailer. Could not having the 5 prong so far give me trouble with releasing the latch on my hitch after backing into the driveway? Sometimes I'll get lucky and the trailer will come off the ball, but most of the time I'll have to pull the truck away leaving the reciever hooked to the trailer before the latch will lift up. Just trying to get this figured out cause it's a real pain. Any help appreciated.

I've got the 7-prong female paired with the 5 prong on the trailer and have the same problem at times.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am 

WyliePirate wrote:
Could not having the 5 prong so far give me trouble with releasing the latch on my hitch after backing into the driveway? Sometimes I'll get lucky and the trailer will come off the ball, but most of the time I'll have to pull the truck away leaving the reciever hooked to the trailer before the latch will lift up. Just trying to get this figured out cause it's a real pain. Any help appreciated.

The five pin harness has nothing to do with the release of the latch on your trailer hitch. Sometimes when the ball sticks in the hitch receptacle it makes for a tough job to lift the latch. If the truck and trailer are angled (on the horizontal plane) it puts more stress on the receptacle. Try pulling the truck ahead or back more plus you may need a big old pry bar to help lift the latch.... Alot of people also grease their ball and receptacle for easier release and less friction in turns. I don't bother. You may want to spray some penetrating oil on the latch mechanism for good measure.

I generally back the boat in my garage, release the latch, put down the boat trailer jack and lift the back of the truck about 4 inches with it then jump on the bumper and it releases. By the end of the season you will have a system down pat that works for your situation.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 am 
Dolphin

When my boat goes in the driveway, final result is truck and boat are at about a 75 degree angle so stress on the hitch is a good point. My lever doesn't even lift up though(maybe a half inch). I've taken a hammer and hit in the little arm (that moves in and out) on the side of the hitch but that doesn't do any good. I don't really want to do that any more either, probably not good. I guess I'll lube it all up and see what happens. I read in this post of a hole that you stick the pin in. My trailer has a pin already in the hole with an e clip on the end to hold it in there. Normal?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:59 am 

Not the best picture but here is my tongue with the latch completely released. Maybe you are not lifting the latch enough? I don't recommend that you grease the ball...It makes a real mess when the kids hit it or the dog run under the trailer etc... Spary with a Silicone lube may be an alternative.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:17 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks. Mine's a little different and don't understand why it's so hard. I've owned 5 trailers in my life, this one by far is the most difficult. I'll try to get a pic on here later today so you can see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm 
Dolphin

Here's mine. I thought I'd read that this has a safety or something on it. It clunks every time you move from a dead stop and I think that bar on the side moves in and out. That's why I thought plug had something to do with it(brakes). Maybe not disengaging? I've tried prying the handle up with a big screwdriver but won't budge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next