www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 am 
ShanMan

While I've trailered boats before (not my own), the dual rollers on the FW tandem trailer are new to me. When we water tested the boat, the salesman pulled the boat on the trailer, allowed it to self-center then gave it gas to get the bow hook in between the two sets of rollers.

I've not seen it done that way. Usually you get it close, attach the winch strap and crank it into position.

I tried the salesman method and the bow hook got caught on the lower roller and made a not-so-nice noise. It scared me enough to never try it again.

Is anyone familiar with this method?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:17 pm 

the double bow rollers are a real pain, you prob had the trailer in too deep.
pull the trailer out a bit to allow it to lift the bow higher up over the 1st roller.

it is not fun on very steep ramps.

Also, i like to back the trailer up deep in the water then pull back out to loading position to lubricate the bunks a bit...easier to load that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:56 pm 
Minnow

I had a not so fun experience with this on Saturday. Took me about a half hour at the ramp to get the boat all the way up with the bow eye in between the rollers and it took one person on the winch to pull slack as I moved the boat forward. I thought backing into the water further would help as it would take some weight off the bow if more of the boat was floating but that seemed to make it worse. As a new boater (only 15 hours on my '06 220) it was very frustrating for me and I just kept thinking, "you just need more practice" very frustrating. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:42 pm 
ShanMan

SD1856 wrote:
I had a not so fun experience with this on Saturday. Took me about a half hour at the ramp to get the boat all the way up with the bow eye in between the rollers and it took one person on the winch to pull slack as I moved the boat forward. I thought backing into the water further would help as it would take some weight off the bow if more of the boat was floating but that seemed to make it worse. As a new boater (only 15 hours on my '06 220) it was very frustrating for me and I just kept thinking, "you just need more practice" very frustrating. :oops:

Amen to that! That was me, yesterday. A friendly boater asked if I needed help, I responed, "Yes, but I don't know what to ask you do!"

I too backed it farther in thinking it would help, but it did make it worse. And, the friendly boater's friend pointed this out to me.

We got it, but it sure is stressful "hogging" the ramp as a novice.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:48 pm 
230 Mike

My experience with this so far has been that if you get in too deep, you'll always have this problem; if you go in a little less deep, you'll have to power on and won't be able to winch the boat completely on. I wish I could find a middle ground because I hate powering on, but I'm really beginning to think it's the only option with our boat.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:38 pm 
Seahorse

I have a 190 horizon, and have found that the deeper you put the trailer, the harder it is to mate correctly. I have recently found that if you keep the rear guide pads about a foot out of the water, the boat will usually feed its way up nicely. Of course, you have to give a little throttle to do this. The stern ends up straight, and bow always snugs right up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I made an extention and lowered the bottom roller. Sometimes you still have to power on then pull up a little to raise the bow to go between the rollers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:18 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have to power mine on just like the salesman did in the original post. I keep the front of the fenders just at the water line depending on current, wind etc. power it up until the eye is between the rollers. hop off and winch about 2-3 inches. so far no problems other then the vinly stripping get scraped up.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 pm 
Minnow

Our boat is tough to power on. You are so far away from the trailer and truck, you can't' see anything to line up the trailer. You can't hear anyone down below in the front to tell you it is lined up! On the first power load after we bought it, the dealer broke the winch cable after powering on 2 inches short and then trying to winch it up. The kid doing the winching who had his face next to the winch actually had an accident in his pants when the cable broke. A loud bang and knocked him back.

Then I broke a cable doing the same thing. Stopped power loading - too dangerous. What we do now is back the trailer in real close to the dock and we back it in deep. The wife takes over behind the wheel and I walk the boat up to the bow stop. I usually get to within 2 to 3 feet. I will then winch the bow eye up in between the bow rollers until is where it should be, Yes, it drags itself over the low bow eye but so what. Doesn't hurt anything. Then I go to the rear of the boat and hold the boat steady over the wheel wells while it settles on the bunks. The wife pulls out real slow in 4 low and it always works first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:20 am 
Shark

I often launch and dock our 1996 205 Sundowner myself. At first it was daunting, but I've never had a problem. Coming out I back the trailer in so that the wheel covers are about even with the top of the water. I ease the boat into the lane, allow it to self center (these trailers are VERY forgiving), check that the stern drive is straight, then gently power up onto the trailer. It's never failed. Trailer depth is crucial. Too far in and the stern will float, making a tilt more likely when you pull out and the boat settles onto the bunks.

When my wife and I are together she drives the boat onto the trailer while I winch the bow eye to give it a bit of an assist. Just makes the process faster, really, that's all.

Once you have your system down, launching and trailering - even by yourself - will become routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:29 pm 
Dolphin

We have avoided powering on (of course, that's a whole debate in itself), and consequently try to find deep, steep ramps. Where the tide has been low, or lakes that were low late last fall, I've hand cranked it over 1/2 the distance......not fun, but still do-able (good cardio exercise :) ) I spray a lot of silicone on the bunks every other trip or so, and will consider an electric winch in another year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:49 pm 
Guppy

I have a '92 Sundowner 205 and I usually use the winch to pull the boat the last 6" or so up onto my bunk type 4 wheel trailer. For my situation,the double rollers were a real pain until I found that by making sure the strap went BETWEEN the rollers (DUH!!) and then tilting the rollers so that the TOP roller touches the boat FIRST, the bow fitting always centers itself perfectly between the rollers.
Regards
Bernd