www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towing Straps?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:35 pm 
The Bug Doctor

:cry: My 200 SS was delivered with only the 2 staps for the transom. Don't I need one for the Bow also? The Strap is holding fine right now.

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:28 am 
230 Mike

My 230 was delivered the same way. I haven't decided yet, but am considering adding a bow tie-down.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:53 pm 
Goldfish

A bow strap keeps the boat from bouncing up and down. The winch strap just keeps it from sliding off the trailer. Sometimes I don't put the bow strap on when just pulling around a campsite from the ramp and you can see the boat bounce quite a bit more.

Post subject: bow strap...
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:12 pm 
Dolphin

Ours came with one, so I didn't know any better and put it on right after I finish pulling her up. There's a hook for it right below the winch post, so it holds it tight at about 90 degress to the winch strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well you guys were luckier than I was because they didnt give me any tie downs with my trailer!! And it was custom built. :roll:

I ended up putting two on the transom, one on the bow hook and added a safety chain.

379 hours as of 8/8/21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:11 am 
Mental Floss

Jeffski wrote:
A bow strap keeps the boat from bouncing up and down. The winch strap just keeps it from sliding off the trailer. Sometimes I don't put the bow strap on when just pulling around a campsite from the ramp and you can see the boat bounce quite a bit more.

It's more likely flexing of the trailer you are seeing. If the boat was bouncing it would have to come off the main bunks.

I use a bow strap on the 170 only because it's light enough to where a strap would have a chance to keep the boat on the trailer in the case of an acident.

On the 288 a bow strap is a joke as is any strap really. In the case of an accident that sucker (12000# wet) is coming off the trailer! With three torsion axles (independent suspension compared to leaf springs) and 16" radials, I'd have to hit a serious hole ot bump at a fairly fast speed to bounce that puppy.

As to the "bounce" that most people see, I'm not sure I want the energy of the trailer flex transfered to the hull of my boat.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:19 am 
Goldfish

Not sure how you can be so sure. The bottom of the boat is not flat. Yes there might be some flexing of the trailer bunks when the boat bounces, but I think it's reasonable to assume that if the boat is not fastened down it will bounce a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:42 pm 
Shark

[quote="jvalichAs to the "bounce" that most people see, I'm not sure I want the energy of the trailer flex transfered to the hull of my boat.[/quote]
I have to agree with that. I was always told that the bow strap was to limit any forward movement of the boat in the event of an emergency braking situation. ie, try and prevent the boat ending up in the back of the truck. I honestly dont think the boat will bounce much off the trailer. Except the time i hit the concrete edge of a 'round-about' a little bit too fast. It actually bent the stainless hook of the rear tie down i little bit. I guess they stop it lifting a lot more than you'd think. Also, look at the trailer and axle location. That tells you where the weight and load is. And theyre at the back..

ps - always use a safety chain. I have seen a boat once slide off its trailer when backing down the ramp. Gelcoat and concrete arent a happy combination.
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 am 
Shark

Not sure trailer flex causes your bouncing. I also have a 15' light weight whaler on an oversized heafty trailer that will bounce without the bow tie down on but not at all with the tiedadown.
My Horizon 200 trailer has no tiedowns on the rear!? So I have to jury rig them to the stern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:37 pm 
Minnow

My dealer delivered the boat with only the Transom Tie Downs. Here is California it is the law to have two while towing and the highway patrol are very strict so the dealer has tie down with their name on them but with bright red markings so that they are easy to see by the CHP while driving. I asked them if I could buy a strap from them for the bow and they gave me two.