www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Wiring Problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 pm 
Seahorse

I have a 2001 190 Horizon. Recently, my trailer has been giving me fits. It is bad when my trailer is in the shop and the boat is running fine! This is such a problem that my mechanic can't even figure it out. One day, my running lights were very dim and brake/turn signals didn't work at all. Of course, I expected that this was a ground problem. I fixed all the ground connections, and bam, new problem. Now the brake/turn signals work, but no running lights. Not only has the trailer been combed over in the grounding department, I finally also re-wired the whole thing and put new lights all around. Same problem even after all of this. Of course at the beginning of this whole mess, I made sure it was not my tow vehicle. The trailer acts in the same manner no matter what vehicle you have it hooked up to. I recently moved from VA, and had this trailer in some brackish and salty water. I now live in a freshwater state, so that isn't a problem anymore. I don't think the salt could have affected the performance simply because I have redone all of my grounds. Of course, this is not a problem during the day, but at night I can't pull the boat. I travel from here to Nashville quite often and the I-24 smokies love pulling over wounded trailers. I know I have rambled, so here's a quick recap. Brake/Turn signals fine. Running/Marker lights do not work. Grounds are fine, all lights are good, brand new wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:15 pm 
230 Mike

Sounds like you've thought of everything. I still bet there's a ground problem somewhere.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:43 am 
Mental Floss

Try grounding the trailer wiring to a different spot at the tounge. A neighbor had an issue with his trailer wiring and it was the spot where he grounded it. He moved the spot and it worked much better.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:00 pm 
Seahorse

Well, it has been regrounded about 5 times now. I've used bolts, screws, bolts with washers, screws with washers, the kitchen sink, etc, etc. Just got back from an auto electric shop today and they are baffled. (That's mechanic #2). I have come to the realization that this trailer is possesed, and needs a priest. At this point, I have been working on this problem since the first week of June. I have decided I am going to just sell the trailer and get something that is not haunted. Anyone know of any trailers laying around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 pm 
230 Mike

Is it possible that when you rewired the trailer, you damaged the insulation on the lines going to the problem lights? I think before scheduling the priest I'd pull all the wiring (again) and check every inch of it carefully. I mean, it can only be so many things causing this.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic