www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wheel leaking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:51 pm 
Seahorse

Hey guys, long time ghost, first time posting (I think its been that long). I recently noticed the driver side wheel of my factory fourwinns single axle trailer was leaking from the hub area. This is my first boat and trailer so I know nothing other than how to hook it up. I noticed a thin lube type stuff puddled up in the lip of the wheel which appears to be coming from the hub area. Any ideas on what is causing it and how to fix it. Is it safe tow it 60 mile round trip to my lake (supposed to be 80 degrees this week :D ). Thanks in advance for the help.

PS I attempted to post pics but was unable. I can email if that would help.

Post subject: Re: wheel leaking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Clotus - I had the exact same problem with my trailer last summer. Four Winns went with the oil bath hubs on their new trailers and apparently the seals don't always seal correctly. My selling dealer fixed it under warranty. I'm pretty sure they just replaced the seal to correct. I know nothing about these oil bath hubs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm 
Seahorse

I kind of figured this was the case. Correct me if I am wrong but the trailer warranty is one years, which would be fitting because I have had it for 1 1/2 years. How difficult/expensive is this to fix on my own if my dealer will not do it under warranty. Is this something I can take to a trailer shop where it might be cheaper if I cannot handle it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:56 pm 
230 Mike

They went to oil bath on the new ones? I didn't know that.

Here's an unsolicited opinion: if you own a trailer boat, you'll do yourself a huge favor in the long run if you learn how to do maintenance on the trailer yourself, and have the most commonly needed parts for it already on hand. If your boat needs maintenance, you can get it to the shop. If your trailer's down, you have a different problem.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:27 pm 

Mike, I believe it was 2008 they went to the oil bath. Mine is the old grease-'em-up model and I am really happy with it - simple and idoit-proof (suits me!). About the only problem I found on one wheel was a bit of grease came out the back seal as well as the front - on my "to-do list" to fix over winter. Hopefully not an issue as I am about to do an 1100 mile return trip in a couple of weeks :)

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm 
230 Mike

On leaking on the back side (with the greased hubs) - the hub may have been overfilled, blowing out the seal. Those seals are pretty easy to replace and that's an example of something to have on hand (they take a double-lipped, spring-reinforced version, which isn't available everywhere).

On the other hand, some of them just lose a bit of grease now and then. I've replaced the seal on one of mine 3 times and it still loses a bit now and then. Not enough to worry about. Grease and oil leaks are like blood - a tiny bit looks like a lot.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
Seahorse

The boat is an 07 so I assume the trailer is an 07 (or older) I think I got some water in the bearing buddy after researching it further. I guess I will have to get a hold of a grease gun and have at it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 pm 
230 Mike

Remember that some (most/all?) greases will separate a bit if they sit for awhile, and the resulting oil can leak in areas where the mixed grease wouldn't. I use Mobil1 Synthetic grease in everything, but it separates a surprising amount. That red oil makes a mess.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
if you own a trailer boat, you'll do yourself a huge favor in the long run if you learn how to do maintenance on the trailer yourself, and have the most commonly needed parts for it already on hand. If your boat needs maintenance, you can get it to the shop. If your trailer's down, you have a different problem.

+1

Or if you're leaving out of town on a Friday night and need to repack the bearings because of a blown seal, you'll have the supplies. I now keep a full hub kit as a spare.

It's not as hard as it is messy, I found the hardest part was removing the seal, then the races.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:44 am 
Seahorse

anyone know where I can get a wheel hub kit and instructions on how to repack the wheel bearings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 pm 
230 Mike

Here's a video on re-packing bearings. I haven't watched it all, but it looks like a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC47gW5AUwQ

There's a wealth of good information here:
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html

You can get a spare hub through Four Winns. I take a full hub, prepacked and ready to mount, on long trips. But not on day trips. Most would consider this overkill.

It's a very good idea to locate the nearest "good trailer shop" in your area. They're likely to have seals, bearings & races, etc.

As far as replacing races... yeah they're a b*tch, but a long punch, a BFH, and a set of race drivers gets it done without too much trouble. You just have to leave your inhibitions behind ;) .

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic