www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Today I began and finished my trailer preparations.

The plan was to install new wheels and tires and repack the wheel bearings. My dad came up early to get it done early (good thing we did). We get the garage organized to work (still 40 degrees out) and get to work. Get the right wheel and tire off, hub disassembled, inspected everything, get the parts ready to stop by the parts shop to get the correct seal.

Then pull off the left tire to find this:

Project comes to a screeching holt.

Sadly is was quite a crafty way to repair it on the fly, but not for longterm! It is my fault for not laying on the ground the day of buying the boat, I was way to concerned on how it ran.

We now had a much larger task ahead of us. Make some calls and locate a trailer shop, open on Saturday, and has a similar sized piece in stock. Commence PB BLASTER (i highly recommend this stuff). We work getting the old rusty bolts installed in 1989 off to finally get the axle off. 2 hours later and sore arms we have this:

Take the parts to the trailer shop, have him head the U-bolts with a torch to get them to loosen up, spins them off with a super HO impact, and re-assemble with new parts. Load up the Jeep and grab some Mc D's and head home. Here are the new parts:

New wheels and tires (previously purchased)

After about $150 and 20minutes of re instillation and putting the new wheels and tires on vola we have a safe and completely new trailer suspension.

Talk about one hell of a day, my body is a tad sore from being in some weird places pushing the pry bar. None the less my dad really saved my ass, and I learned a whole lot today about what you can fix yourself, and what you cant!

As far as the trailer goes, that is about it for this season, maybe while I have the boat off of it for the 4th of July I might try to get the trailer blasted and painted. We will see how the money situation works out. I plan on have it done next year.

Now it is off for brand new Sumbrella cockpit covers tomorrow!

Thanks for looking, another piece of the mini resto project continues....

- Rob

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:19 pm 
230 Mike

Nice job. Would've been a good time to convert to a torsion axle. ;)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:54 pm 

I was just working on my trailer tonight (repacking bearings) and what woudl you know so far no luck finding new seals. Have one more place to check tomorrow when they open. Who would have thought something as simple as a seal would hold me back from getting an easy job done.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:58 pm 

07H200SS wrote:
I was just working on my trailer tonight (repacking bearings) and what woudl you know so far no luck finding new seals. Have one more place to check tomorrow when they open. Who would have thought something as simple as a seal would hold me back from getting an easy job done.

Napa should be able to have what your looking for. It is typically based on the diameter of the hub.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:09 am 

Wow so glad you caught that before something bad happened. On a happier note the boat looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:05 am 

NOLV4V8 wrote:
07H200SS wrote:

Napa should be able to have what your looking for. It is typically based on the diameter of the hub.

I checked Autozone last night with no luck. Gonna check Napa today and also Fleet Farm. Everyone was closed by the time I got the seal out last night. On the leaf spring topic I had changed the springs on my 1991 trailer due to one side sagging real bad and man those rusty bolts can be a Mother Trucker to get out. I ended up cutting some of them and having new u-bolts made by a local shop.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 am 

I had the same problem with my old Load Rite when I first got this boat (2002) the trailer was really too small for the boat, but I made it work by putting on heavier duty springs, axle and adding brakes (also put on a longer tongue and longer roller bars). I make the springs last in salt water by basically painting wheel bearing grease on to them when I installed them in 02, then each season I spray them with either Boeshield T-9 or the heavy duty Corrosion X in the green can. And after 7 years they have hardly any rust at all. In fact I replaced basically all the U-bolts on this trailer and spray all of them regularly with either of these products and it really minimizes corrosion. So for anyone who has a leaf spring trailer, just coat those springs when you install them and they will last much longer than not coated.

So get a cheap paint brush, a tub of marine wheel bearing grease and paint away. Then after you get a good coating on it, regularly spray it with T-9 or corrosion X and you will never have to replace them again. I was actually able to take apart most of this trailer using a lot of PB Blaster and a 1/2 in drive ratchet set, actually wore out one ratchet (Craftsman) doing that job!
Time for air tools.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:22 pm 
Nauti Luv

Wow - that is a rig job if I have ever seen one. Much better to find out now than to find out going down the road. That could have been a real problem. I bet that thing tows completely different now.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:29 pm 

Great job on the trailer work Rob!

07H200SS wrote:
NOLV4V8 wrote:
07H200SS wrote:

I checked Autozone last night with no luck. Gonna check Napa today and also Fleet Farm. Everyone was closed by the time I got the seal out last night. On the leaf spring topic I had changed the springs on my 1991 trailer due to one side sagging real bad and man those rusty bolts can be a Mother Trucker to get out. I ended up cutting some of them and having new u-bolts made by a local shop.

I had trouble finding seals until I went to a trailer shop. If you have a good one nearby they're handy to know. Otherwise, I know of a place in Menominee Falls.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:05 pm 
Starfish

You have my sympathies! Same thing happened to me on Xmas eve, but repair took lot longer. I discovered that the eye-to eye dimension of the FW trailer leaf springs is 26" and these are unknown in Australia. All here are 24". The FW dealer said he could get me a replacement in 13 weeks (yes, that's right) for $303!!!.
I was despondent, but happily the next week was visiting Honolulu and picked one up at Honolulu Springs for USD38!..just took a bit of explaining to customs on way home!

350mpi Mercruiser
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 pm 

And as a post script to this subject....around the same time I replaced all the hardware/springs on this trailer, my next door neighbor bought a new boat and trailer (Key West dual console, nice boat, with a new Venture galvanized trailer, probably cad plated u-bolts, regular leaf springs). Anyway the trailer is not sprayed with anything to retard rust and goes in salt water about as much as mine. Well on hers the springs are very rusted as well as the u-bolts. Mine still look good. So regular spraying with those products does help.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
Wow - that is a rig job if I have ever seen one. Much better to find out now than to find out going down the road. That could have been a real problem. I bet that thing tows completely different now.

You wouldn't believe the difference. The day I brought it home it was hopping all over the place. We couldn't believe we got it home without something happening with hitting a few MI potholes. Luckily the trip home was only about 10 miles.

Stupid me for not looking, I would have been quite a bit more nervous to try and get it home, and ask for some of my money back!

None the less I have a total of $275 in getting the trailer fixed, wheels tires, leaf springs and all!

Lou we have always sprayed WD40 on the leaf spring a couple times a season, being we don't run in Saltwater. I will definitely look into getting the right stuff to protect those things from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:38 am 

If I could add one more thing.... please take the nuts off the spring hangers and add some locktite. the nuts tend to work loose if you don't. I generally pull the bolts out and replace them with the appropriate size grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts and never have to worry again about them.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:41 pm 

I know it's not about this, but I think you need to set the old leaf spring, block of wood and zip ties back on the guys lawn who sold you the boat. Unbelievable! :shock: I can only imagine your shock and anger at the moment you discovered that. You may have purchased the boat/trailer knowing it was like that, but it would have been nice to know. Sorry to ramble, but damn it, what's wrong with people. Anyway, thanks for sharing more pictures along with the progress reports on your resto. It's facinating to watch the progress.