www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Westland trailer cover VS. Four Winns bow/cockpit?
Westland Sunbrella 1-piece custom trailer cover-$500 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Four Winns 2-piece factory bow and cockpit covers-$800 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:45 pm 
Starfish

I have 2 options, a Sunbrella custom trailer cover through Westland for $500 or a set of Four Winns factory bow and cockpit covers for $800. Whatever I go with, I'll be putting a tarp over during the week and it must be trailerable.

For those of you who have the bow and cockpit covers, do they trailer well? I was told by the dealer they work great but have read elsewhere that trailering them alot will shred them. If that's the case, for an additional $300 it's probably not worth it though I'd rather get them.

Anyone have or had a custom cover from Westland? It's the great Sunbrella but not sure how tight custom fit is and I don't really want to mess with trailer straps all the time. However, it will go further down on the boat and is made to trailer and is $300 cheaper?

I need to make a decision ASAP so I can leave the boat out, jockying it in and out of the garage is getting old and the Mustang GT is currently demoted.

Thanks alot for any input!
Nubby

Living the DREAM

Last edited by Nubby on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 pm 
All Night Long

trailering cover will give you better protection when stored outside.

If that trailering cover is literally custom fit and had straps to tighten things down when you trailer so it doesn't flap in the breeze- I'd say go the Westland route.

Here in Seattle, a custom trailerting cover is $1000 and up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I trailer with the bow and cockpit covers with no problem. Sometimes up to 1000 miles round trip with a max speed of 70mph and have never had a problem. There was mention somewhere that they may stretch if you do this, but I've not seen it. I figured that if they stretched, I'd wash them in warm water to shrink them a bit..! :o

Nice thing about the covers from FW is that they are a good tight fit and don't flap around at all.

Try this link - http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/fourwinns - if I recall these are the actual makers of the FW covers.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:30 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a bow and cockpit cover as well as Westland custom fit Sharkskin trailer able cover. Typically I leave the boat with just a bow and cockpit cover. When I trailer the boat I take bow and cockpit cover off and put trailer able cover. The trailer able cover is a reasonably tight fit but it will require straps to trailer frame. (so it will not fly off easy)
I am paranoid about the strap will damage the gel coat so I use large masking tape near straps so straps will not rub the body. It is kind of pain in the neck….. The FW trailer cover is much nicer /tighter fit and does not need for straps. It is a way to go and well worth for investment. I am thinking about getting it for my H260 as well. When I bought my H260 the trailer cover was not offered from FW for 260 so I had to get a trailer able cover from others such as Westland. I have been told that FW now offer the trailer cover for 260 so I am going to get one if FW really offer for 260... I know they offer up to H240 in 08
I would recommend getting bow and cockpit cover as well as trailer able if you are planning to leave your boat near water much since trailer able cover is still a lot of work to put every day after boating……

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:18 pm 
Sting Ray

Nubby
Last fall I purchase a Mooring cover from Boatcovers.com for my 2007 H180.I went with the Sunburst for my purpose, it is recommend for mooring and storage. The fit is excellent, the cover has reinforcements where it should and it was $284.71 with free shipping. I did not buy it for towing but they do offer other models for trailering. I would recommend looking at their web site.I also have the factory cock pit and bow covers.I wanted a good quality cover to protect the boat from the sun and other elements over the season.I store it indoors for the winter.

Stouffville Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:34 pm 
Clownfish

I have a 230 with bow and cockpit cover from four winns and they do not stay on over 60mph. The full cover is your best bet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:44 pm 
Starfish

For my current purposes, I just want to be able to pull the boat out and leave it out on my side driveway all summer so I can park the truck and Mustang in the garage. The river is only about 5-10 miles away and I'd probably just pull the cover at home befor I leave. This will go on for the next 4 months until I move to Phoenix. During the move, I will want to have my boat covered as I will be loading it up with some stuff for the move. I'd like to keep away from the straps but sounds like the FW 2-piece set wont' travel well during the 1,200+ miles I have to go?

Thanks for the inputs so far!
Nubby

Living the DREAM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am 
Starfish

I just ordered the Sunbrella cover. It came down to trailerability and I've heard too many people say their FW covers come off or get shredded. I was looking at WeatherMax which is supposed to beat Sunbrella but they do not warranty it for trailering yet. Ended up being $442 with free shipping as well so about half the price of the FW covers!

Living the DREAM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:17 pm 
Sting Ray

Nubby
Where did you order it from?

Stouffville Ontario
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:23 pm 
Starfish

It's a Westland cover through IBoats.com. Supposed to be a really good fit and comes with the straps as well. I'll let you know how it fits and take some pics when I get it. It should be on my doorstep on 20 April.

Living the DREAM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:41 am 
Sting Ray

with so many covers out there i would like to know if anyone has better info (first hand) on the quality or workmanship on these covers - Taylormade,shoremaster,endura(carver) others? i am going to get a trailering cover for my 1995 horizon 190 ( which it looks like will limit my choices? to 2 years 95/96 if i get a semi custon fit cover according to many reference guidlines). next, i want a quality material in the $200- $300 price range but again, i see 50/50 polyester/cotton - 100% polyester- and acrylic materials out there all show good or better features and all with various weight material makeup? i guess when it comes down to it, i want the best of both worlds- low price,tight fit and best quality. i don't know if that's possible but i am open to suggestions- thanks bk :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:45 pm 
Dolphin

nubby- on your iboats cover does it go over the top of your folded down bimini when you are trailering? How is the fit? I have also been looking for a nice trailering cover and the iboat covers look pretty nice for the money.

Thanks,

2007 H190
4.3 liter
Seattle WA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 pm 
230 Mike

I think it depends on how you plan to use it. I have the 2-piece covers from FW, and have never had the slightest problem with them staying snapped down at any highway speed. But, for primary use as a trailering cover, the 1-piece trailering cover would be better. I'm investigating buying one myself.

For someone just wanting to cover the interior overnight while in a slip, etc., the bow & cockpit covers might be preferable. They're both horrendously overpriced IMO.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 pm 
Starfish

I recently moved out to Phoenix and now I'm glad I went with the full cover instead of the 2-piece. Main reason being the fact that it now sits outside in a storage lot so the big 1-piece cover keeps more sun off my boat. It's been a great cover, it kept out most of the rain in Mississippi, even with some horrible storms.

Living the DREAM