www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trailer Wheel Jacks
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:52 pm 
Whatever

I use a bottle jack, also carry extra set of bearings, dust cap, grease, and extra boards for soft ground/grass. Unfortunately towing 6 different trailers over the years, I have used the jack a few times.

Walmart sells a bottle jack, cheap

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

impulse wrote:
firecadet613 wrote:
impulse wrote:
It's called Trailer-Aid their website is http://www.traileraid.com/traileraid/. I got mine at a local RV shop for around $40 - $45 bucks I think. If you can't find locally, just google and you'll find lots of places that sell them.

Have you tried it out yet? I just tried it with my 225, and it doesn't get the tire off the ground....

Good point, ya know I haven't. They make another version that has a 1" thick rubber pad attached to the top, but 1" isn't much. I'll be trailering the boat 2 hour away from home over Memorial Day weekend. I'll make sure to try it out this week. I found a screw in one of my tires this last weekend, but it hadn't gone in all the way and was at such a low angle that when I backed it out no air came out.

I wonder if you could attach a 2"x6" to the bottom to give you enough additional lift? If I remember right there are 4 bolts attached to the bottom of the Trailer-Aid that you could back out and re-use the holes with some longer bolts.

So glad you brought this up. When I tried it out it would not bring my adjacent wheel off the ground. So after a little trial and error I came up with enough lift by adding a piece of 2x6 and 2x8 cut to a little longer than the trailer-aid and using them as a base and cut at 45 degrees on the ends that it worked. Had I needed to use this to pull a flat tire, it would have been useless. These independent axle's have so much articulation that it takes a quit a bit of lift to get the opposite one off the ground. Good catch fire!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm 

impulse wrote:
So glad you brought this up. When I tried it out it would not bring my adjacent wheel off the ground. So after a little trial and error I came up with enough lift by adding a piece of 2x6 and 2x8 cut to a little longer than the trailer-aid and using them as a base and cut at 45 degrees on the ends that it worked. Had I needed to use this to pull a flat tire, it would have been useless. These independent axle's have so much articulation that it takes a quit a bit of lift to get the opposite one off the ground. Good catch fire!

Can you take a pic with some measurements also? This is something I'd like to do!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 am 
Whatever

Thats a lot of stuff to carry and store for emergency use, plus the initial cost, IMHO

6 ton bottle jack $20-30, 12" X 12" plywood, free!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 am 

powellcrazy wrote:
Thats a lot of stuff to carry and store for emergency use, plus the initial cost, IMHO

6 ton bottle jack $20-30, 12" X 12" plywood, free!

I agree it is. But in the event I need to use it in an emergency situation it will be a much more stable platform, if you will. I always have the sizzor jack that came with the truck if I'm not carrying the trailer-aid.

firecadet613 wrote:
impulse wrote:

Can you take a pic with some measurements also? This is something I'd like to do!

I'll try to get some pic's of it this week. Forgive me if it takes a little longer.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:51 am 

firecadet613 wrote:

Ok, Here you go.
The measurements are top piece is a 2x6x26 and the bottom piece is a 2x8x27.5. I cut some notches in the top piece for the bolts on the bottom of the trailer-aid to rest in so it is less likely to slip off while backing the trailer on. I also used some screws on the bottom side to fasten the two blocks of wood together. I tested it and it works great. The two additional pieces were needed in order to get the other tire off the ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:51 am 

I always keep a few 2x4 scraps in the back of the truck - just in case. Might need under the jack or ??? Cheap insurance. Sometimes need under swing jack on trailer as well depending on the grade where it is parked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:55 pm 

Don't waste your time with the TrailerAid PLUS!!!!

I ended up selling my traileraid, and purchasing the traileraid PLUS that has the rubber pad for an extra 1" of lift. Of course, that isn't enough lift needed. I had measured and it looked like all I needed was an inch.

I ended up doing the two board trick like Impulse did. I wasn't going to waste my time cutting just one board.

This is a MUST do if you get the TrailerAid, which I think is fantastic. Why waste your time jacking up the trailer on the side of the road? Doesn't take up much more room than a jack...