www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need some help guys
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:50 pm 
Guppy

I'm new to the forum, but so far everyone has been very very helpful. I'm hoping that is the case for this question :)
I bought new tail lights for my trailor because the old ones had met their match with the saltwater. ok, they are hooked up properly. The running lights and turn signals work great, but when I press the brake pedal the tail lights (brake lights) do not work. Any ideas, pointers, hints.... Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

Post subject: Re: need some help guys
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I had this issue with mine and it turns out the adapter to convert the plug on the truck to the five pin was not properly flushed in all the way. Take yours out and reset it.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:58 am 

depending on the tow vehicle, most of them have separate fuses for both turn signals and brake lights for the trailering package. You may want to check all your fuses. On my GM truck they would be in the under hood electrical box.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm 

yes on checking for separate fuse too! Did the old stop/turn lights work before you installed new ones???

Also to make it a one man job just turn on the emergency 4 way flasher W/parking/ running lights on. That way you can check way you know that everything works i.e. Stop/Turn, Park or Running lights (depending on what/ where you are). I do that before I leave home & the lake every time just saves bugging the Mrs to help out. She does enough going & coming back home!!!

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]
Life Long Boston Bruin Fan 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 pm 

If you have a multimeter, you should be able to hit your ground then test for voltage on the other pinouts on your truck flat 4. This should help you isolate between truck and trailer. I had troubles with my lights in the past, ended up replacing a lot of stuff on the trailer only to find out I had a bad ground on my truck. I was so frustrated that I didn't do logical trouble-shooting. Ended up spending like $20 bucks to have the local hitch place trouble-shoot and fix my issue. Just start with isolating components until you find the one that is the problem. Just my .02 in addition to what has been said already.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:01 am 

yrless11 wrote:
If you have a multimeter, you should be able to hit your ground then test for voltage on the other pinouts on your truck flat 4. This should help you isolate between truck and trailer. I had troubles with my lights in the past, ended up replacing a lot of stuff on the trailer only to find out I had a bad ground on my truck. I was so frustrated that I didn't do logical trouble-shooting. Ended up spending like $20 bucks to have the local hitch place trouble-shoot and fix my issue. Just start with isolating components until you find the one that is the problem. Just my .02 in addition to what has been said already.

If it was a bad ground NONE of the lights would work. It's only the BRAKE lites in-op. I'd still check to see if the vehicle has separate fuses for "trailer stop lights" L/H R/H I saw this on my neighbors Cherokee

2011 Polaris 500HO RED]
Life Long Boston Bruin Fan 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!! :-)