www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:24 pm 
Guppy

Has anyone ever attemped to convert hydraulic trailer brakes to electric ? Can it be done? Should it be done?
My tow vehical is equiped to pull a travel trailer, which we do all sumer. I hate the hydraulic brakes on my H190 trailer and electric seems much more civilized.

Any thoughs/suggestion would be great...

Kirby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The best way is to use Electric over hydraulic trailer kits. Typical electric brakes (drum) are not popular for boat trailer since boat trailer has to go down under water. Electric over hydraulic system use an electrical actuator, which works with your brake controller in the truck. This actuator will work with your hydraulic brake in your boat trailer. They are not cheap but you can purchase these kits from large trailer shop such as Trailer Parts Superstore.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm ... goryID=309

One issue is you need an Engager Breakaway kit to make DOT regal.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200242374

Another solution is to replace all brake comportment using Fulton’s Sharkskin Marine grade electrical brake system…
http://www.fultonperformance.com
Brake & Controller Catalog page 16-27

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
Whatever

You don't mention what your tow vehicle is, but a H190 with surge brakes behind a small SUV/truck should perform well. Is the boat on a tandem axle trailer? If not, money may be better spent on upgrading trailer with tandem axles with brakes on both axles, may be a little over kill for that size boat.

I do agree that electric brakes feel better, but I don't think that once you see the cost to convert, you will forget it and put money towards other more useful items for the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 am 

have only seen electric brakes on maybe 1 or 2 trailers & agree with the others about the bad combination with water. Have always had surge breaks & been happy with there performance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm 
Guppy

Thanks guys!! I appreciate all the advice and comments.

My tow vehical is a 2007 F150 with the tow package. I currently have a tandem trailer. The boat tows very well behind the truck. Then reason I'm considering electric brakes is because my truck is set up for it. I also pull a 25' travel trailer with electric breaks.

My biggest compliant about the surge brakes is when you pull away. I have never liked the sight bump. Other than that, they have preformed as expected.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 pm 
Whatever

You just need to learn to accelerate slowly when pulling with surge brakes, til the actuator has extended all the way. If you do this, no more clunk. With our truck I just let off brake, roll forward a couple feet/second, then gently accellarate.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:08 am 

I put a drum brake system on my old 94 Load Rite about 5 years ago and with the Tie Down 6600 actuator, there is basically no clunk to speak of, just the smallest sound of the actuator pulling foward when you pull away. I know that Fulton makes drum brakes that are electric and marine rated but I don't know anyone who has used them. I'd say in a fresh water region they might be worth a try, esp if you have a lot of hills where the better control of electrics come into play. Here in the salt pond....no electrics for us....I have gotten these to last by using the flush system everytime, and there are now good quality disc brakes out there that will last even longer. It's hard to beat the simplicity of surge brakes....and enough trouble just keeping the trailer lights working in salt water (the trick is to pack all connections and lamp contacts with a good marine grease...and figure on replacing the harness every 5 years or so, none of them are tinned wire so the green corrosion travels up the wire).

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II