www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

powellcrazy wrote:
The eyelet and strap glide right over the roller, I would never tighten bolt so it can not pivot.

The purpose of tightening up the bolt is to help keep the double roller assembly in the vertical position as the boat is winched in. I didn't mean to imply tighten it so much that it would not pivot at all. Maybe snug would have been a better word. Once the bow contacts the top roller it starts to pivot with the angle of the bow so that it doesn't just flop horizontal allowing the bow eye to be under the lower roller somewhat. When that happens it doesn't matter how hard you or a child winches, the bow eye will not ride over the lower roller. Past threads talk about all of this extensively. Maybe it's just an issue with our type boats???? I have never had this problem with other boats I owned in the past.

I agree using the right winch speed at the right time makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:40 am 

Same issue on the Funship and I also "snugged-up" my bow roller for the same reason.

Also, don't know about anyone else, but my winch is a one-speed and I'm a pretty big guy and dragging the boat up the bunks is no easy task.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:09 am 
Whatever

EvilZ wrote:
Same issue on the Funship and I also "snugged-up" my bow roller for the same reason.

Also, don't know about anyone else, but my winch is a one-speed and I'm a pretty big guy and dragging the boat up the bunks is no easy task.....

FW is obviously getting cheap! I cant imagine a medium sized boat/trailer being equipped without a two speed winch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:41 am 

That may well be my next upgrade...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 am 
Shark

I want to personally thank everyone who suggested for me to go the opposite direction!!! Retrieving the FW's yesterday was a breeze!!! I did spray some PAM on the bunks and only dunked the trailer 3/4 the way in with the rear guides sticking out of the water about 4 inches. I drove the boat up slowly until it stopped (without needing to power-retrieve), shut the engine off, jumped out the bow (I could use some of the steps someone mentioned in a different thread), hooked up the winch, and cranked it up with the bow roller in the verticle position. It was almost too easy!!!

Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm 

I'm glad this worked out for you. I know you will feel a lot better at the end of the day going back to the ramp knowing things will go smoothly!!!