www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Pay now or pay more later.

A guy showed me his mud flap arrangement a few weeks ago that protects his Baja from rock damage while trailering. I was so impressed I bought a set off Ebay. These are also sold by several other websites.

The "Rock Tamers" are very unique in that they attach to the receiver just behind the ball.............not the truck or vehicle. So when you pull the receiver pin not only does the receiver come off but so does the mud flap system. This way you only have big mud flaps when you are hauling the boat. We live in the country so road chip, tar, and gravel is a big issue.

The best price I found was carparts.com but do your homework. When I want something I don't shop for very long. :D

Below is a link from the company that makes them. These assemble very easily. I bought the chrome set but they have black ones for less. These adjust in several ways for vehicle heigth / width and the quality is excellent. All chrome or SS including the hardware. They look great on a truck! I can take some pics on my set if any of you want to see them.

Just thought some of you might like something like this!!! I have no affiliation with this company..............

http://www.mudflaps.com/

Last edited by FWFord's on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:46 am 

The one I use is slightly different. Heres a link. I was sick of finding little tiny "white" specs (stone chips) on the blue gel coat.

http://www.towtector.com/

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:09 am 
Whatever

I used to use that exact set up, works fairly well. I have found that by moving the flaps a little closer the wheel I could the flaps to work/perform better. I found with so much flap too far behind the wheel that wind would whip the flap providing no protection.
It is very important to have flaps at correct distance off the ground as to not drag and throw stones as well, I see that problem all the time going down the road.

I bought some big heavy thick semi flaps from NAPA, made a bracket that bolts to receiver hitch frame, made a frame for the flap itself that plugs into the small unseen bracket under the truck.
I have noticed less wind affect with placement here and therefor more protection to trailer/boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:27 am 

[quote="jsimon"]The one I use is slightly different. Heres a link. I was sick of finding little tiny "white" specs (stone chips) on the blue gel coat.

I like these as well.

"I found with so much flap too far behind the wheel that wind would whip the flap providing no protection".

Good point. I will check this out on the next trip. I use different vehicles to tow with so I'm hoping this is one solution for several vehicles. I was careful to get the ground clearance right with the boat trailer attached. We will see..........

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:45 pm 

Sweet!!!! I love mine!